1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting doubles with a 391/ release?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by R.Kipling, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I've been shooting Doubles with an 1100 Competition & Timney release for three years. I don't see any disadvantage, but I do enjoy all sorts of advantages. You will want to make sure that you install a knock-down pin in it. Mine throws empties about 5 feet forward.

I'm always amazed at the number of people that stand with me and ask what chokes I use for the first and second birds? Though, the best question is, "is your trigger a release-pull, or a release-release"!

Kip

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I do once in a while, but only if I can have the post on my right empty, because there's no way with a 391 that you're not going to hit the guy next to you. Knock down pins (at least on a 391 have to be tuned to the ammo; so if you're not shooting the exact same shell, sometimes it will kick the shell back into the chamber; sometimes it will still hit the guy next to you.
    Then there's the issue of clearing the gun. You have to reach around with your
    left hand and pull the bolt back to unset the hammer (without letting up on the trigger) If you inadvertently load shells when you're supposed to move, you have to clear both shells, (which is a little tricky and involves picking them up off the ground.)
    Other than that, no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.