1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Doubles Using A Double Release

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jon Reitz, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I've been hoping someone out there would start a thread about shooting doubles using a double release trigger and since no one else has, here goes.

I switched from release/pull to double release quite a while back due to an uncontrollable second-bird flinch that was really limiting my ability to post good doubles scores consistently. The first (and lengthy) part of the transition is now OK. I can finally, mechanically operate the damn thing. I’m breaking the first bird successfully, but really struggling to break the second the way I used to. Something is just very different now and I cannot seem to figure that out. It’s almost as if it takes a different sense of trigger timing or something. I shoot a lot of practice doubles but am really stuck in this rut.

So I would like to hear some sound input about the differences between this method vs. pull/pull or release/pull. Fire away, BUT unless you shoot a double release trigger, please do not reply.

Respectfully,

Jon Reitz

2. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

When I went to a release on singles, I was told at that time to just do the double release now as you will eventually end up there anyway. I haven't tried the release/pull but the double release only took me about two boxes to get used to. I release on the first bird and immediately set the trigger as quick as I can for the second bird and move to the bird, then release. It is now an automatic movement that I don't have to think about.

Eric

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I shoot trap doubles (and everything else too) with a double release gun (Browning XT). Once you get used to the trigger, it shoots just like any other method of shooting.

I also shoot sporting clays and skeet with this same gun. I never even think about the trigger anymore. It just happens.

I suspect that shooting with the release/pull trigger has gotten ingrained into your mind, but I think that several weeks of shooting nothing but a double release will cure that. Surely, going from a release/pull to a release/release can't be any harder than going from a pull/pull to a release/release like I did. I got used to my new (double release) triggers in one afternoon. If I can do it, anyone can.

Easystreet

4. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

Jon, As I shoot the second bird I have to be a lot more deliberate and it works for me. If I start missing second bird then I just have to slow down on second bird and they break. Hope this helps because doubles are the fun in shooting trap. jim w.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Simple.Get a Reitz release

6. Shooter100

Shooter100 TS Member

If you shoot a release on the first bird. Then a Double Release is the way to go for doubles. Setting the second trigger on the way to the bird is a easy habit to get into.

Eric is right on on this one.

Harry

7. dedpair

dedpair Active Member

I just recently switched as well.To date I've only shot Singles, but plan on trying doubles shortly. Phil Kiner gave me some good in-site into the change over and was very helpful in saying you should shoot post 2/4 until you become comfortable then move on to the other posts. I guess he still checks in here? Now it was a bit pricy for the info! I believed he charged me a Diet Pepsi at the Grand last year...lol...Good luck and I'm sure somone here has Phil's contact info...

Jeff Graupp

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had a lot of trouble learning how to shoot a Double Release. What did help me was to visualize releasing the trigger for the first bird and immediately setting the trigger for the second bird before even moving the gun.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use a double release. After the first bird, I move to the second bird. If my head is down on the stock, when I see the second bird clearly the gun goes off by itself. I don't have to think about anything except keeping my head down and seeing the second bird.

Pat Ireland

10. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

The transition wasn't as simple as some make it sound. I "machine gunned" second shots more often then I ever expected could happen. Someone advised "slowing down the second release speed" for better terms I'm not sure. I explained my problen to John Allem and after he readjusted the second trigger action the problem seems to have smoothed over. The trigger set is now a bit heavier an the second as compared to the first trigger. Worked for me, when I pay attention.

Big Jack

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I have struggled with a R/P on Dubs flinching on the second bird since....forever, I will finally send the gun out this winter for the 2nd 1/2 of the conversion. I should have done it when I had the first release put in, but I felt I couldn't shoot a dub release....live and learn I guess

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

One problem I had -and it's not uncommon- is opening up my grip when I released the trigger. Besides allowing the gun to jump in your hands, often causing it to "machine gun," it affects resetting the trigger for the second shot.
    When I keep the grip firm, it makes resetting the trigger automatic. Clench you fist and then extend your forefinger. You will see how your forefinger will want to close back.

13. chipking

chipking TS Member

Jon I can only tell you what works for me. Starting from when you break the first bird your eyes swing to the second bird and your gun follows. There is a point for me when my eyes "lock" on the second target and the gun is still moving to that target that is when I set my trigger. From there on it is just like shooting a single with a release. The real hard part is to remember that shooting doubles is not a race and that you have plenty of time for both shots. And as dickgtax stated a firm grip is a must. If you want to have some fun watch new release trigger shooters some time. A lot release one or both hands at trigger release. One guy I shot with looked like he was trying to let go of a hot potato with every shot. It does take time and practice to learn to keep a firm grip.

--- Chip King ---

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Frank C - Very many of us made the same mistake you did. A release / pull trigger is best described as a release / flinch trigger.

Pat Ireland

15. Jon Reitz

Guys,

I'm past the point of learning how to operate the double release mechanically. Again, that part of the transition is now OK and has been for some time now. What I need help with is breaking the second bird the way I used to with the release/pull trigger setup. For some reason there just seems to be something very different now and I can't figure out what it is. It just used to be a hell of a lot easier for me to break the pair. It’s as if it takes a different sense of trigger timing or something. I have noticed when I'm struggling that slowing down generally produces more broken pairs.

That said, some of you that replied did provide me with some ideas about some things I can examine closer and I will do that. The e-mails, P/Ms & phone calls were very helpful.

Thank you again,

Jon Reitz

16. gamehog2

gamehog2 TS Member

Jon,

I went straight to the double release when I went release for singles, and did not have a trigger problem. I did have a problem, on occasion, of breaking the second target. I figured out that when I released the trigger on the first shot, I was relaxing my grip and allowing the gun to move in my shoulder. I have since started holding a little tighter gun for doubles, and the problem has gone away as long as I keep my head down.

Darrel

17. Jon Reitz

I received a lot of input so thanks to all that replied.

Jon Reitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.