1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Doubles Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by huntinandhotrods, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Everyone always shoots doubles by shooting the right hand bird first from posts 1, 2, and 3 and then the left bird first from posts 4 and 5. I understand that shooting in this order makes your first target straight in front of you and is the way I shoot them too, but I had a gentleman ask me the other if it is mandatory or can you shoot them in reverse order. I told him I wasn't 100% sure but I thought you could shoot which ever one you want first and I have been wondering ever since. Thanks Huntinandhotrods

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I believe its just the norm. No rules that i'm aware of.

3. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Not a rule. I shoot them backwards. Who the heck wants a long quartering target? But, I will add, I'm not a doubles champ... far from it ;)

4. bubbasdad92

bubbasdad92 Member

I used to shoot the right target first from all stations. I made it a point to tell the scorer at the beginning of the round so he/she would know.

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I believe when doubles were first introduced the right target was to be shot first. Later the rule was changed to allow either target to be shot first at the choice of the shooter. Some still shoot the right target first and do quite nicely.

Ajax

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Shoot them in any order you like but.... be consistent about that. You need to have a plan in your mind before you say pull and the score keeper might have trouble watching your targets if you are constantly changing your shooting order.

Now as to why take the straight away first - because if you don't then you will be swinging in on a straight away for the second shot and will have to stop the gun before you shoot . It is a very awkard move that won't help you become a good doubles shooter.

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Shoot in any order you want to, the rules don't specify which. Most of us take the more straightaway target first for the reason wolfram explained, essentially.........if you take the angle first then for the second shot you're making a horizontal move to intercept a target that's moving straightaway. With practice you could learn to do it, some do it quite effectively but most of us find it's easier to move straight up to the first one and then OVER to the second, that way you don't have such a big direction change mid-swing.

John C. Saubak

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You don't have to make a horizontal move, you ca make a U move for the second bird if it is a straight away. Didn't they teach you anything in school? HMB

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Sean Hawley from California the best doubles in the country shoots the right bird first on every post.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well as Darwin noted, there are more variations within a species than there are between the species.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

They didn't teach Trapshooting in the school I went to, hmb.........common sense just told me to shoot the more straightaway bird first.

12. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Sean Hawley is now from Vernal Utah and holds the record for Doubles at 1776 without a miss and yes shoots the right target first on every post. I wouldn't say he does it wrong. He won a Doubles shootoff in Tucson from the 27yd line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.