1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting doubles/ an 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by suptlloyd, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suptlloyd

suptlloyd Member

Does anyone shoot doubles w/an 1100? I suppose the trap 1100 would throw empties forward and away from shooter standing on the right. I wouldn't want to p---
    off a fellow shooter. I shoot doubles w/my Gold E but love my1100s. Just never see anyone use them at doubles. A field 1100 would likely throw them right at his feet.
    I do know they used to make some sort of double catcher but don't think it worked very well. Just wondered.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

We don't use auto loaders for doubles bcause we have to wait for the action to load the second shell. Takes way too long a time to get the second shot off. HMB

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Man, hmb, I have just the opposite problem! I have to shoot an 1100 and wait what seems like all afternoon for it to load that second shell. That's because with my Perazzi I fire the second shot so fast the pellets from the second firing (I shoot 2/3/4-dram for bird 1, 3-dram for bird 2) run right through the first ones and disrupt the pattern so much I sometimes miss.

Neil

4. MR870

MR870 Member

Try an 870,the hulls won't hit the other shooter.Yes,doubles can be shot with an 870.

5. No Luck

No Luck TS Member

I sometimes do with my 11-87 trap. HMB does have a good point that I have noticed when going back and forth from my 11-87 to citori. It feels like I'm waiting on the action sometimes. But I get by with it. As long as there is a knock down pin on the barrel the farthest I've ever seen it throw a shell was at the feet of the next shooter. But I have to shoot a brass head shell the first shot because every now and then a steel head shell will get caught in the receiver because of the knock down pin.
    No Luck

6. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Neil,,

Wow, I have experianced this, Going put the O/U up and get a 1100 for hunting too.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention,

Doug

7. Neil Winston

Doug, you have to be a pretty experienced trapshooter to pinpoint that as the cause of misses in doubles.

As is so often advised here, I go though extensive "miss analysis" after every loss; how are you going to correct something if you don't know what it is, right? And if you are fair with yourself, you will finally recognize "shot-collision" as the most likely culprit, the last thing left in the sieve after all other possibilities have been washed through. You just go over everything you might have done wrong and, if none are possible, there you have it.

Good luck with the 1100; I seem to remember some guy from Hannibal shot one OK for a while.

Neil

8. Donm

Donm Active Member

Neil. I used to have the same problem but then I started moving the gun towards the second bird and haven't had a problem since. But I do still have other reasons for missing that I haven't used or tried to explain yet.

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I often shoot with a guy using an 1100. He hardly ever makes it through 50 pr without some sort of problem. He keeps it spotless inside and out and never shoots reloads so it has to be the gun.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Superman..Captain Marvel..Flash. Three people who can shoot the second shot in a pair of doubles faster than an 1100 can recycle.

Leo Harrison, Daro Handy, Dick Baldwin, Elgin Gates. A few doubles shooters who did pretty well shooting doubles with an 1100.

Granted, O/U's are less likely to malfunction, and every auto throws empties, knockdown button or not. With so many shooters owning combo's, you don't see so many autos. But if you have an 1100 and want to shoot doubles, you might try to get on to a four man squad with an empty post next to you; or next to a shooter-and there are many -who don't care if an occasional empty lands near them.

11. dale1957

dale1957 Member

Neil I don't know u but I'm going to call BS on ur post. I don't do it often, But there it is. Dale

12. travisalfrey

travisalfrey Member

I second Dales BS meter

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I occasionaly shoot doubles with my 11/87. I think it might be not such a bad thing waiting for the shotgun to do it's clickety-chunk as it gives me time to actually focus on the second target instead of practicing my bad habit of just swinging the gun over in the general direction and pulling the trigger.

14. Neil Winston

Donm, if you have to move the gun, you are not getting on them fast enough out of the house. When they first appear they are close enough together to be hit, both at once, by the cylinder choke I recommend for doubles. You get that pair of shots off so fast the scorer can't use that stupid "NO TARGET" rule they wrote to punish fast shooters like we used to have before these fluff targets shooters demand today drove them all to FITASC and games.

When I started in this game, people who moved their gun in doubles were called "Mo-dinks." The "Mo" part is for molasses, of course.

I bet there are a lot of guys here who remember those old, better, days. They have some stories, I'll tell you! Heck, I've read some here!

Neil

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I eat lunch while my 1100 and 1187s chamber and fire a new round. Makes for a relaxing day.

16. triplea

triplea TS Member

Wow, I want to met the guy that can get ahead of gas gun! Only if it's so dirty and scummy to slow it down. Used them for 35 years for trap, skeet, sport, and furious crow hunts. Never had to wait yet! There are three of us and you better not wait in the crow blind, cause you'll never get a shot off!

My trap barrels throw the hull low and just to the right, seems Leo did OK! Shoot what ya got and enjoy!

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Neil, per your predicament of using your o/u. Simply use 8.5's or 9's in the bottom and 7.5's in top and you will have created the optimum duplex load no two targets can survive... Now if you want to play the game fair, use 7.5's for thelight load bottom barrel and 8.5's i top. Ain't know way them 7.5's are going to get caught even if lighter shot is started faster!

Leos didn't even cycle alot of the time due impart to neglect and look at his averages and wins from those years.

Iam appauld you guys forget the famous KS shooter that shot an 1100, Bernie Waner...

They way to make any shooter appreciate standing next to an 1100 doubles shooter is first have him stand next to a Ljutic bi matic shooter for one :)

I still use one in the hunting fields in several guages. Them guys with me on a covey rise or roostie honey hole sure seem to think my cycle plenty quick.

18. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Interesting thread. I always loved my 1100, shot it well and have considered going back to it as older age and recoil takes it's toll. Anyone else shoot/have shot an 1100 that has any thoughts?

19. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I started with one 40 years ago and have gone back to one. Shot just about
    everything in between. Besides the reduced recoil, nobody has made a better
    barrel in 40 years, and the release triggers are excellent and cheap. Put on a Jack West stock and you have as good a gun as you can shoot, and you haven't spent $500.

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

In an more serious attempt to answer the op, sure you can use the M1100 for doubles but you better be on top of the maintenance issues or it will end up costing you targets. (you only get a couple failure to fire)

That being said, I was fairly successful at shooting doubles with a Beretta 391 trap and even used it in a couple 1,000 bird marathons with zero issues. I greatly prefer the o/u guns these days for all the reasons mentioned above. Cyclic rate however were never a problem, guess I'm just a bit slothy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.