1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting coats

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quicky, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicky

quicky Member

I was wondering if there was a shooting coat available that was a down filled unit that had some good wind resistance but light weight. The real question I had concerned finding something warm but that had real thin fabric in the shoulder pocket area. I prefer shooting in a tee-shirt and I think that shooting in the cold with a thick coat teaches a lot of bad habits. So, the whole coat with the exception of the pocket area for the recoil pad would be insulated.

My other option is spending the winter in AZ. I am not retired yet so that option isn't on the table. Darn! Thanks, Quicky

2. build4u

build4u Member

I do not know if they still make it but Browning has a light shooting coat well insulated that is real warm and waterproof. I have one but do not wear it anymore, I bought a fleece coat from Shoot The Moon. It is a nice Fleece with a windblock layer of some type. It is amazingly warm for its thickness and weight. Very nice shoulder leather and a little leather trim. Very small mock tee type collar area that is perfect. I layer a little underneath. Outer pockets for shells and inner pockets for hand warming. My friend tried it and bought one as well. I shoot in Michigan and almost exclusivly in the winter because I am Muskie crazy from June to November. They will do custom sizing and made mine in a 42 with a little longer body and arms like a tall.It is still short enough for me to use a shell pouch on a belt. I stay out mostly for longer time frames practicing 5 stand and sporting.

3. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Columbia Sportsware Omni-Tech. I have a hoodie from them that works perfectly in cold weather. See URL above.

4. Bobba Woods

Bobba Woods TS Member

Rivers West.com... They make WATERPROOF... WINDPROOF..... Shooting Jackets Good looking and warm. Ten yr waterproof Warranty. and the shooting coats are made in America!!!
    Robert Woods

5. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

I've had a shoot the moon coat for 6yrs and shoot all winter in Wis. In really cold weather I use light layers. It's a great coat and custom made to your size.

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a Bob Allen winter coat that I will sell for $50 plus shipping. I don't know what the fill is made of but most owners have always been satisfied with them that I know of.

I don't and won't have any pictures available. I will say it is a few years old but in very good shape but does have some string tags that can be clipped off. If you buy it and don't like it I will refund your money LESS shipping if you notify me within a few days of receipt. I have sold several things on this site over the years and have never gotten any negative replys or posts. PM me if interested. It is XL and brown and RH.

Dave Promen
    Canton, Il.

7. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

The best ever used to be from 10X. Goose down, warm body and sleeves, but thin by the pad area. Haven't seen them for years, had 2 but got too fat for them.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Too bad they don't make the old 10x goose down anymore. They were tops. I now use layers of under armor and a fleece coat I bought from Orvis. No binding anywhere and stay toasty.

9. Jon.King

Jon.King TS Member

Many, many shooters, including myself, shoot in a Storm Jacket. These are in my, and many others' opinions, the best shooting jackets available. They are wind proof, waterproof, feature a zip-out lining made of Thinsulate and are custom made to you by measurements. The zip-out lining is one of the best features as it makes the coat suitable for temperatures ranging from below zero to well into the 60's. They used to be made by the legendary shooter John Storm. Unfortunately we lost John a year ago next month, but the business has been continued by his daughter Leslie and they are still making fantastic products. Here is the website. Hope this helps.

http://www.stormshooting.com/

10. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

Jon's post expresses my sentiments exactly. You can't beat the quality, fit (custom built to your measurements), function and looks of the Storm coat. Leslie carries on the tradition her dad started and is one of the nicest folks I know to do business with. Lyle

11. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Ditto Storm coat!! Beretta also makes a great down-filled coat with a game pouch, loops in the pockets, hand warmer pockets, etc. I have both and wear them all the time.

12. rocktire

rocktire Member

Storm all the way

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

14. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

Chalk up another vote from Michigan for the Shoot the Moon coat. One problem I've had with coats is all the loose fabric in the armpit and chest interfering with the gun mount. I've got a Bob Allen that is warm, but I can't shoot in it. The STM coat stays snug, but not restrictive and eliminates the problem.
    Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

goose down shooting coats

goose town shooting coat
shoot coat
shooting coats trap shooting
trap shooters sport coat

trap shooting coats

trap shooting jackets & coats

winter custom trap shooting jackets with leather trim