1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Coach.. HELP!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Frye, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frye

Frye TS Member

I took the XT Unsingle out yesterday and tried to dial it in. It was very cold at the traps! I shot about 300 rounds thru it and really like the gun! I wasn't able to pattern the gun due to too many people being at the range yesterday. I tried to set it up with just shooting it in practice rounds. I THINK i have it where I want it as far as POI goes. I'll get it on paper and see... ITS AMAZING how 27 yard targets just vanish with this gun.. Here comes the bad part. I had 3 Estate shells out of a flat that delayed in firing and 2 that didn't fire at all. I am flinching BAD.. I never noticed it before but how the heck do I get rid of this without going to release triggers?? I flinch so bad when I pull the trigger that I yank the gun way off target... if I'm doing this when the shells go BANG, I don't know how I'm able to hit a target at all. I have never been bothered by recoil, I can shoot all day and night and be sore or bothered by it at all, I don't understand why I'm flinching so bad.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

For the shell problem, examine the firing pin strikes, and you might post a couple of pics so we can see them. Hangfires can be a combination of things.

If you are having light strikes, we will discuss that after we see your primer strikes.

As far as flinching with this gun, you might simply be concentrating on getting the shot off perfectly, and not totally focusing on the target.

When I make a project out of trying to see "White Flyer" on the target, I break it, and seldom have a conscious memory of pressing the trigger. When I think of timing, and start thinking about what the gun is going to do, I may make a boo-boo.

With the way these guns are set up, it is doubtful if recoil is making you flinch.

Try going to the line and putting your full powers of concentration and focus on the target until it breaks, and do not stop swinging the gun until you do not have a bird to point your gun at.

Then, and only then, is the shot over, and it is time to dismount.

Another trick you might want to use, is to put more of your finger on the trigger, and use the same trigger technique as shooting precision Air Rifle.

Once the gun fires, hold the trigger in and do not release it until you start your dismount. Tell yourself to make a smooth and sure press on the trigger with the same follow through on it as you use on pointing at the target and staying in the gun.

My Unsingle has a tendency to boil a bird at the 27 as well. I did install a bore matched 40 point Angleport choke. It boils them better than the factory chokes.

3. Shooting Coach

Ok, I'll bite. Does she have a good gun collection? LOL

4. Frye

Frye TS Member

Once again Ol' Sportshot comes through with a meaningless comment. I went out again today with it. Much warmer and didn't have any of the problems I had on Saturday. I shot from the 30 yard line. 23 24 25 23 24. Once from the 16 and ran 'em. I had one straight with it yesterday shooting 24 yard wobble. The rest of the scores were fairly consistent. I'm really liking this set up. I figured the mis fires yesterday may have been related to the cold air. There isn't a heated clubhouse at my preferred club and flat of Estates stayed in the back of the truck. The reloads I normally shoot went off just fine. I'm getting a good solid dent in the primers so I don't think the gun has a problem either. I'll keep an eye on it for now. I hope to be back to shooting my reloads in couple of weeks. I've got 2 more flats of Estates to get rid of and by then, I should have all the supplies I need on hand.
    All in all, I couldn't be more pleased with this this XT...

5. Frye

Frye TS Member

Shooting Coach,
    I forgot to ask but where can I get one of these Chokes that you use? I'm using a Briley extended Full choke in it right now. All of my Browning factory chokes are BRAND NEW, Never been fired. I'd like to try one like yours.

Regards, and Thanks to you, Inkball and MIA for all the help and advice.. it really has made a difference.

Frye.

6. Shooting Coach

You can call the folks at Angleport and they will sell you the chokes for the same price I get them. Your XT Combo has .740" bores. They will ask. Also, they are available in Gold or Silver. Use a heavy lube, like CMD, on the threads and they will not loosen.

In my Unsingle, the 40 point choke is a Martian Death Ray! I have them for ATA Dubs in my O/U barrel. They turn a solid into a vapor. :^)

Glad you had a cold weather problem. My home club has one of the largest SCTP's in the nation. They shoot a busload of Federal and Estate shells. I hear a weak report every so often.

My Unsingle fit me like a glove also. I immediately shot it very well, from the first box. There was no "getting used to it". It fit, and I hit with it!

Isn't it ironic that our reloads are more reliable than factory fodder? LOL

7. Frye

Frye TS Member

Hello Shooting Coach!
    I just ordered 2 of the .040 and one .025 IM on your recommendation. I'll use the IM choke in the bottom barrel of the O/E set. I primarly shoot a full choke from everywhere but I do like to use the bottom barrel if I'm shooting singles.
    I was suprised at the price! About $20.00 less than what you can buy 3 Briley extended chokes for locally. Providing you can even find them in stock. I don't know how long they'll take to send them out but I'm in no hurry. I've had good results with the Briley chokes I currently have. If I don't like the Angleports, I'll give them to my dad. He shoots and XT as well and I know he doesn't care for the set he uses. I gotta tell ya, it's going to be hard to get this XT unsingle to shoot any better than it does right now!

I won't get to try the O/E barrels until later this week but I'm looking forward to getting everything set up on this gun.

8. Shooting Coach

I am a distributor for both Briley and Angleport.

I recommend Briley Sub Gauge Skeet Tubes, bore matched Angleport Chokes, and CMD Lube.

When I tried my first set of Angleport Chokes, I sold my Brileys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.