1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Clinics

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by butcher, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

It seems like every shooting clinic according to the various threads were the next best thing to discovering peanut butter.

Are these by new shooters or also by experienced shooters? Or by poor shooters verses good shooters?

I have attended a clinic done by a highly successful shooter and as I look back, his skill as a shooter I believe out weighed his coaching skills.I have done a lot of trial and error things and read and bought some DVDS and have come to the conclusion that Phil Kiner's DVD seems to me, to be the very most logical, easily understood and more easily put into use.

Often the people who excell in their games are not necessarily the best coaches.

2. LarrySC

LarrySC TS Member

GO FISH!!!

3. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Just spent two days at a clinic with Harlan Campbell.

Only time and targets will tell:)

FR

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I've done a Campbell, and Ohye and a Ross-Martin clinic in the past 6 years. Campbell and Ohye teach their own style. If you want to learn to shoot their way or can adapt their techniques to your style, they are for you. If you want someone who looks for deficiencies in your present style, try Nora and Randy.

Morgan

5. ouch

ouch Member

I agree with Morgan about Randy and Nora. They are very good instructors, But I have learned from each of the several clinics attended.

The main things are to find an instuctor you like, Listen, Pay attention and give what you have been told an honest try.Richard

6. Kent

Kent TS Member

Three years ago I took a clinic from one of the most respected All Americans in the ATA shooting sport. It took him less than a minute to evaluate my faults. He did his job, but I was not able to put in practice suggestions that were against an incorrect style that I had developed over the previous years of trap shooting. If I had taken “professional lessons” when I first became serious in this game, perhaps my ridged temperament would have allowed the lessons to be learned. I have not yet gotten back to the level I was shooting before my “coaching” took place. Do I call the experience $300.00 down the drain or just that I am the “Old Dog” that cannot learn new tricks.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've participated in clinics put on by several of our best shooters. Some are intent on making you use the mechanics that work for them and that just doesn't help a lot of "average" shooters. Some have all the good intentions in the world and give you correct suggestions for improvement but don't tell you the all-important "whys" so you understand the reasons for their suggestions. Some tell you all you need to know but leave you unconvinced that the changes they recommended are really needed. The clinic that helped me the most - and it helped me a LOT - was by someone who helped me improve using my established mechanics as much as possible and told me the "whys" behind his suggestions. He also used video to reinforce his words so I could see what I was doing wrong and had no doubt that his advice was well-founded.

That person was Phil Kiner and I would place Nora and Randy Ross right behind Phil only because their use of video was more limited. Both clinics almost cannot help but improve your game as long as you attend with two things - an open mind and a thick skin.

Going into a clinic with the belief that you already know everything about trapshooting but just want to see what a "pro" has to say will amount to nothing more than a waste of your money and time. You have to go with a desire to improve even if it means changing some things about how you shoot.

New shooters should attend a clinic just as soon as they decide that trapshooting is something they want to do long-term because it is easier to teach someone how to do something correctly without first having to show them why what they are doing is wrong.

Ed

8. claybustin hoosier 52

claybustin hoosier 52 Member

I've attended a Frank Hoppe clinic and could not agree more with 24str8 about Frank. He is an excelent instructor and a great trouble shooter. And I also agree with Average Ed about attending a clinic.

John

9. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

You know, the best shooters don't always make the best coaches. My boyfriend is a good, instinctive shooter, but he sucks as a teacher. However, a "teachable" student can learn something from everybody -- even if they're not the best teachers.

The primary key to a successful clinic is being a teachable student. I've only taken one clinic so far, and it was from Britt Robinson. I went with a desire to learn, and I did learn -- A LOT. I have another friend I shoot with that went to Britt's clinic the day before I did, and he said he didn't learn a thing. Now, I know darn well that Britt didn't change his class from one day to the next. I believe the difference was in the student's attitude. I went with a teachable attitude and a desire to learn, and the other guy thought he already knew everything because he was already AA and well on his way to the back fence.

10. butcher

butcher Member

11. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I want to take a clinic in the worst way but they are all so far away. On top of the cost of the clinic there is travel and hotel/motel I wish someone would come closer to the ATA Homegrounds here in NY. There are tons of shooters here and nobody ever comes here except for the big shoots.

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

What alot of people fail to realize is..."You cannot make a Silk Purse from a Sow's Ear".

Some people just don't have the physical and mental attributes to be a competitor (in any sport). These types can spend as much money and time as they wish, but without natural attributes/talent, they'll never amount to a hill of beans.

If you're going to spend the money and time to take a clinic and follow up with the teachings, then you better be honest from the get go about your talents.

Curt

13. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Curt :

Would this qualify for me to take a clinic ???

2008 600 92.33% 400 80.50% 300 69.33%

2007 1300 90.54% 300 79.00% 500 75.6

My second year of shooting ...

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

widomaker...

I don't qualify anyone on here to do anything. All I did was point out that a person should understand their physical & mental aptitudes. It would be awful waste of time & money to participate in a clinic when a person is not serious or lacks the physical talent to be a good shooter.

If I was new into this game and with the same passion, I'd definitely take lessons from the best this game has to offer, not just one but at least three so as to ascertain the best information possible.

Curt

15. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Please define the cutoffs for physical and mental aptitudes for me so I don't have an awful waste of time and money .

16. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

There is no such thing as a wasted clinic unless you fail to implement. And that does not mean for a day or a week or a month. You have to be able to learn and comprehend what is being taught. Then it is up to you to follow through and implement.

I took a clinic a couple years ago and improved dramatically while the other 4 students went backwards. Then they reverted to what they had been doing in the first place. I would take another one in a heart beat. Take lots of notes and implement.

Good luck, John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.