1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Clinics?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Matt Colman, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Colman

Matt Colman Member

My name is Matt Colman of Nevada ATA 0762403.

Will a shooting clinis do any good for myself? I have had some success shooting i have shot 100 straights was on the 27yd line for a while and i shoot between 7 and 10 thousand registered targets a year. My goal is to stop flinching and break more targets and was wondering if any clinic would be worth taking. I await your input and advice.

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I would suggest that you look for some private lessons with a top shooter. I think a one on one session would be more effective for you. Bill Malcolm

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why are you flinching? HMB

4. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I agree that one-on-one instruction would be better than a clinic. You really need to make sure that you have a proper gunfit ... as it is clear that you know how to break targets. Flinching in trap is like "the yips" in golf putting. A change in equipment can make a big difference.

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Switch to a .410-no recoil-no flinch as some would say!

Get that stock to fit properly-don't gain or lose weight-it may not fit you perfectly again-then what?

You're not seeing the target properly-that's what's making you flinch as some would say. Ask them how they see targets better than you-detailed explanation necessary!

Pull the trigger with your middle finger-works for awhile!

Keep increasing your trigger pull weight until it magically goes away say some. Your gunsmith and you will become very close buds and he will be quite wealthy while you slowly approach a 10lb. pull weight!

Try release trigger. Hopefully you're one of the 50% shooters who see remarkable improvement in their scoring and not one of the 25% who see no improvement or the 25% who can't let it go, can't set it or flinch worse!

If all else fails, bowling, fishing or some other sport not involving triggers is your last alternative!!

6. Matt Colman

Matt Colman Member

I tried a release trigger and could not let go.

Who would be a good person for private lessons? Should you interview them? Use a referal? Look at thier success in shooting? How does one chose a person for private lessons?

Matt

7. oleolliedawg

Harlan Campbell, Leo Harrison, Phil Kiner or Nora Ross-not necessarily in that order. Kay Ohye does give private lessons also!!

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

That can be tough one Matt. A mentor WOULD be really cool to have. I rely on several to informally bounce things off of, but I'll admit I'd really like to find someone who would really analyze my shooting over time to help me find ways to improve.

I've taken two professional clinics. They were helpful to a degree, but did leave me wanting more. In my experience both times I shoot really really well during the clinics and there wasn't too much to correct.

One-on-one professional sessions are expensive and too constricted by the small sampling of performance/time to produce significant results (my opinion).

A couple of my friends have found non-professional mentors--me, not yet. Make friends, talk to people and make it known you are looking for help.

In many ways finding a mentor is like finding a woman. You can go the mail order bride route, or purchase some companionship in the red light district; or best yet, interact openly with as many likely candidates as you are exposed to ever diligent to find the right chemistry organically.

Good luck!

Guy Babin

9. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

You can't learn how to shoot in one or two clinics.

It takes years to understand how to shoot.

If you don't believe me look at the ata's web site, look up the great ones, and you will see they were not great over night, more like 10 years, and getting better.

Take Leo, he has been great a long time, now LOOK at Leo better than ever.

Harlan same.

The clinics should teach you how to practice to become better. There are many steps to climb to become one of the best. Frankly not many will do what it takes.

Barry

10. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Take two weeks off, and then quit....

11. Matt Colman

Matt Colman Member

Thanks for all your input and P M sent.

12. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

Look on Harlan Campbell's web site for the clinic near you he will not only teah he will tell you why !!!!

13. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I wonder what the cost of a day or half day ( one on one) with Leo,Harlin or Phil would be?

14. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I have paid $100 per hour. Bill Malcolm

15. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Britt Robinson would be another great choice for one-on-one.

16. Trapped in Trap(TIP)

Trapped in Trap(TIP) Member

Matt: Sent you a PM

Russ Roberts

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

BRITT ROBINSON!.....fabulous teacher...

18. oleolliedawg

Greg535, thanks for an intelligent discourse on the act of flinching. Others should pay attention to your words!!

19. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Took a Kiner clinic and Phil said that he started to flinch when his trigger pull eased up without him knowing about it. Eventually he couldn't pull the trigger at all so he realized what was going on, but it was too late, he was flinching in anticipation. You might want to check your trigger pull with a scale. Phil says it should be at about 3.5 pounds.

Another thing Phil did was take videos of us shooting from the side and from behind. From the side some of the clinic attendees where clearly moving their head and not the gun. We could see this because the bill of their cap would move before the gun would move. I've been meaning to get my own camera ever since.

Consider taking Phil's clinic. He has an eagle-eye for problems.

Also a DeVault clinic includes some stock fitting and point of impact testing.

I've taken both and learned plenty from each. They are sincere about helping shooters.

And I took the Frank Hoppe clinic. Frank showed me how I was standing straight up and needed to lean forward just a little to get that front leg working as a pivot point. Big difference.

See what clinics are in your area. After taking some, a one on one does sound really good.

Joe

20. oleolliedawg

Zard, also a good suggestion!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ata shooting clinics
best trap clinics

trap shooting clinics

will kay ohye give consultation sessions during a registered shoot