1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Clays O/U for Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ihartm, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ihartm

ihartm TS Member

Is there anything wrong with using a Sporting Clays O/U for Trap Shooting?

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I shot a Browning 525 Sporting for the first three years, and did OK with it. You might want to make some changes in stock fit; but hey, it all comes down to where you point the gun.

The 525 is still my doubles gun. (until I get the other barrel set for the unsingle) ......Mike

3. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

The problem I have had with my Sporting Clays Gun (682 Sporting) is it beats me to death when I try to shoot trap with it.I have never had it beat my cheek up shooting Sporting clays,I have heard others complain of the same problem.Jerry

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Of course you can shoot trap with a sporting clays gun. If it has an adjustable comb; it makes it even easier. That being said, there is a reasoning behind a dedicated trap gun, a dedicated skeet gun, a dedicated sporting clays gun, etc. , etc. Each have their own advantages to the respective disciplines. But if one can't find it in their budget to purchase a gun for all the clay target disciplines, I would opt for the following guns. My #1 choice would be a trap gun with an adjustable comb and choke tubes. #2. I would opt for a sporting clays gun with an adjustable comb and choke tubes. Over/Under or semi-auto is up to the shooter. To sum it up; I know a shooter who uses an 870 field grade full choke 30" barrel; that will embarrass a lot of shooters that show up with their Perazzis, Kolars, Kreighoffs, etc. Ed

5. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

While I have a dedicated trap gun, I occasionally shot my skeet/clays gun, an ASE 90, on the trap range - especially when I want to shoot 28 gauge, as when I try to do that with the trap gun, the shells fall out the muzzle and won't go bang.

One of these days, I'm going to try shooting a round of doubles with 28 gauge for the first shot and 12 gauge for the second. Ought to be interesting.

Tony

6. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I agree with JDS about an improperly fit gun beating the snot out of you. That problem was resolved with a visit to Glenn Baker at Woodcock Hill (Thomas Bland & Sons) for a fitting session. They did a thorough job, then bent the stock, to give the proper drop, pitch and cast off, then shortened the stock and added a Decelerator pad for LOP.

lots of luck with your priject ....mike

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with my fixed comb 425. I could shoot skeet and sporting all day with it and not have a problem. one round of trap and my cheek was sore for a week. I sold it and bought an XT browning with adjustable comb and am anxious to try it out on some trap tomorrow. I shot it real well on skeet a couple of days ago so thats not going to be a problem.

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Tony

Keep in mind that's illegal in an ATA shoot.

XIII, G, 1: A contestant may not use a gun capable of chambering more than one gauge of shells at the same time. For example, chambering 12 gauge and 20 gauge
    shells in the same gun at the same time is prohibited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.