1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting chair

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim e, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim e

Jim e TS Member

I am at an age (75) where I cannot stand and shoot 100 targets very easily. Any advice on a shooting chair? Can I make one, should it swivel? Don't need wheel chair, I do have back problems though. Thanks

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

One of our guys uses a combination walker/chair and put a pair of ATV racks on the tubal steel to hold his firearm horizontally - a bit unsettling to the first time observer, but heck, it works and gives him his independence... so we make the allowance. The walker/chair incorporates a hand brake to lock the chair into position while shooting.

So it works as a walker, a mobile gun rack and a stationary shooting chair...

Could that concept work for you?!

regards all,

Jay

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

They are called a 'Rolling Walker' and I have a cousin that is de-invalided because of one.

She had to have the 'holds 600#' version but is more mobile that one would ever expect.

She pushes/rolls it where she needs to go, turns it around, locks the wheels, plops and gossips.

Hers came from Wal-Mart, about $100.

Bob

4. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

You have five years on me but my legs are going out. I have done some experimenting with stools and I will share what my experience has been. I have tried the standard Evens five gallon hunters swivel bucket, adding another bucket to get more height, guitar stool (25") and various bar stools cut to fit. I can't arm-shoot very well at all. The swivel seats don't seem to swing the same all of the time. The more weight I can keep on my feet the better I seem to do. The legs have to have good rubber tips so they don't slip or activate the voice call. Be ready to take a lot of ribbing. Your mileage may vary. Ron

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

My dad squirrel hunts with one of the walkers w/seat. I think it has a brake on it too. When he get's tired walking to his favorite spot, he just sits.

I got it for him at Walgreens. Good Luck!

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

A friend I shoot with from Blacks burg VA. began using a non swivel wood stool this year. Both his scores and fun while shooting have improved. He does grumble a little bit about having to carry the stool around but it has helped him. He went from an average C shooter while standing last year to a strong B (close to a weak A) shooter this year while sitting. We are going to try a heavy coat of wood wax on the seat to see if this helps a little with his angles.

Pat Ireland

7. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

Jim e.....I think you will find it to be a trial and error hunt. I shoot with a guy that has a lot of mobility issues from a plane crash he barely survived. He tried several different chairs, stools, and walkers. Walking with a cane, carrying a shotgun, wearing a shell bag, and toting a stool....that's working your butt off to shoot!

The one I thought would work was an old dentist stool that swiveled and had a rubber donut above the base that also allowed it to wobble around it's axis.....but his legs are so weak and he never felt comfortable...said he felt like he was trying to balance himself all the time. Another was a wooden bar stool....but that proved to be to much weight.

He settled on a simple folding camp stool (which I feel is too low and it's a real work out for him to stand back up). It does not swivel. But he has learned to shoot his targets over the center stake in skeet and how & where to sit to cover the field. A pretty steady shooter that can run a straight every once in while.

I think he needs a taller, sturdier, seat on wheels that has a way to hold his gun and shells and that he can sit/lean on when he is not shooting. He thinks I should shut up! I think he just wants to avoid the "walker" or "wheelchair"...or anything that looks or acts like one. Just the fact that he is up and moving under his own power is proof of his stubborn streak...an amazing guy.

8. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I am still in the early stages of my problems, I find that having a stool that is easy to slip onto for just a few seconds at a time is a great help. Any time you are standing and waiting you could be resting. I put a hole in the middle of the seat to make it easy to move it from station to station with one hand. I have made about a half-dozen of these when requested by friends. I have also managed to leave them behind from San Antonio to Las Vegas. Early signs of another problem... Ron Renouf

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We have a couple guys using stools, sometimes squadmates help move them.

One was Wis. Senior vet Champ a few years back.

HM

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

One of the guys uses a swivel stool and it works for him. Another shooter uses a wheelchair that has been modified to hold his gun horizontally, and bags for shells and empties.

Good luck and I hope you can continue shooting.

Don Verna

11. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Precautionary tale: One of our biggest supporters at the San Antonio Gun Club had a career-ending accident with a flimsy stool. He fell over and landed on his shoulder. He was never able to properly hold a gun again. His name was Jerry Ehrler and he was the big game hunter who shot the taxidermy specimens now seen at the club. Ron

12. Mapper

Mapper Member

Many years ago, I occasionally shot with an old fellow from Oklahoma who had some mobility problems. He had a thing that looked like a gas station tire sign. He stood on the bottom and leaned against the upright. No seat, but some support. He was plenty tough enough. I imagine the thing was aluminum since he seemed to have no trouble moving it.

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Another thought...I was watching Merlin, of Merlyn's Gun's, shooting the Central Zone at Brittany Shooting Park. He was using what I would call a "prop." It had a "seat" section that looked about two-by-four by 12" and attached was about a 5' pole that he either stuck in the ground or propped it against something. He really looked comfortable shooting. Perfectly natural.

Merlyn gets on here on occasion - maybe he'll give us the low-down on his "seat." If not, I'll be at the MO. Fall Hcp. this week and I'll ask him about it if he's there.

Best regards,................Barry

14. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

that gas station tire sign go me thinking...

What about something like a light weight moving dolly? If you extended the bottom shelf out and stood on that while sitting your rump a seat, it should be stable enough. would be easy to fab up a seat at the right height...easy to mount a gun holder, strap on some sacks for shells and hulls, roll it from pad to pad

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just bought a very light weight stool called the sport seat . It can hang off your gun cart for walking between fields & is very easy to carry between stations. I use it for interruptions such as machine or gun malfuctions--it will help also for a very slow squad-my legs hurt due to spine problems

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bar stool logo covers trap shooting

design for shooting trap chair

disabled shooting chairs
shooting chair

shooting trap in a wheelchair

trap in a wheelchair
wheel chair trap shooting

wheelchair trap shooting