1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Camera

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I was thinking about purchasing one of these cameras (in the link above) and mounting it to my barrel during a practice round to see if I could review the footage to help me see why I miss.

I'm not 100% sure I would be able to tell with certainty if I was above or below but if I were to place a vertical center line on the footage shouldn't I be able to tell if I was in front or behind a missed bird?

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how much you would see. Amazon has eyeglass cameras for about $150, they may work better?

3. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

Check the field of view. It says 135-degrees for the high speed modes. If the target is 30 yards out, the field of view is ~140 yards or 1966 inches. The clay target will just be a few pixels and or a blur.

If you look at shooting videos with "gun cams" they have a relatively narrow field of view (i.e. a zoom lens) and they also have good lighting.

If it works let me know, but I don't want to be the first to try it!

Andrew.

4. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

I am sure this is not what you want to hear but, knowing where is generally of very little use.

What you need to do is figure out why.

Send me a PM and I will give you some things to check. pk

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Try the link for their camera products.

Eric

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Nothing works better than keeping your head on the gun, then you'll see why you did miss.

7. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Rich219,

I purchased a gun mount kit and camera thinking I could use it with the youth I teach to shoot. Thought it would be easy to tell where the shot is going. Not so!!! The recoil takes the camera out of the picture long before the shot reaches the target so you get allot of blue sky shots with an occassional piece of a target.

Best way is to mount the camera on a tripod behind the shooter. I gave up on the camera idea after about 5 hours.

Good luck
    Primedust

8. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

This is the video camera I think has the most potential for shooting. The lens can be clipped to the visor of a baseball cap to get directly over the barrel and give a virtual down barrel view same as what the shooter sees (almost). The GoPro camera is too bulky.

I am interested in Phil Kiner's point of view - why is it not important to know "where" the miss occurred? I understand the "why" is more important but does not the "where" help you identify the "why"?

TIA

9. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

It is more important to see why you hit and study that rather than a miss,,My 2$ worth. Joe

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

ffwildcat,

Knowing that you missed because you shot over/under/in front/behind the target only tells you what things to look for, not the cause which is the "why".

Eric

11. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Leo Harrison is a HUGE proponent of the "eye-cam". If he thinks it is a valuable teaching aid then I'm going to listen. Understanding the target/barrel relationship on hits & misses is essential to improvement.

12. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Remember this on the eye-cam

It does not show the lead when the trigger is pulled but, where the barrel is when the shot leaves the barrel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best gun camera for trap shooting
best shotgun camera
camera multiplayer shooting gun
eye cam for clay shooting
gun mount camera clay shooting
shooting cameraman

trap shooting shotgun camera

video camera for target shooting