1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting by yourself?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

What do you do to pace yourself if you are shooting by yourself or happen to be on a two man squad. Been look for a wrist timer with a 30 sec. interval buzzer.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I enjoy shooting by myself. I endulge every little adjustment and take a few breaths between shots. I shoot a lot of practice on my own too so there isn't a huge change in my ritual.

3. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

I have shot a few time by myself and have found it difficult to not feel like I need to rush through shooting. I try to go through all of my motions as I would with a full squad: rest the gun, load a new shell, make sure the shell is turned so that the writing is right side up, look at the trap house and focus in on the area of the house I need to watch for the bird, bring the gun to the ready, close it, and mount, call for the bird and hit the go button.

Like I said though, I really almost fight myself and the urge to rush through things.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I shoot all the time by myself

But my trap field is in my back yard

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Not a big adjustment for me, just go through your routine of eject, load, close action then do a five count as if you were waiting your turn, then mount pull - bang. Keep your focus out in the target area while doing the five count as if there was targets being thrown - helps keep your head into what you are doing.

6. 575cas

575cas Member

I like shooting by self did just today.Can practice not shoot rounds,Usually shoot some straight aways then hard rights and lefts.Then shoot with thrower moving.Can really work on my weaknesses routine. paul

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

When you shoot by yourself or with another shooter you can actually practice and work on a few things. Shooting practice trap with 5 shooters doesn't give you the same practice time. You mostly get hung up just going out and shooting a round. I like shooting myself at times. I can struggle on trap post two at times and like to shoot all 25 shots from there.

8. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Sing the chorus of a favorite song in your head...then begin your routine. Gives your barrel a chance to cool and your brain a chance to reset! Martinpicker

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I like shooting by myself. It's a good way to establish a high average.

10. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I found that using a rubber gun rest (Foxy's) had a very positive effect when shooting solo. It means that after I shoot, I have to take my time to

1. put the gun down on the rest,
    2. capture the ejected shell and put it in my vest pocket,
    3. find a new shell,
    4. load the gun,
    5. close the breech, and
    6. THEN bring the gun up to my shoulder

Having the gun stationary and resting on the ground takes the urgency out of the whole process, at least for me, and I wind up with a nice, slow rhythm during which my mind doesn't seem to wander.

It's actually quite relaxing sometimes not to worry about what is everyone else doing, am I holding things up, how long till my turn, why does that guy insist on closing his gun just as I'm getting ready to shoot, etc., etc. I wind up just focusing on the next shot (which is a very good thing) and not thinking about timing at all. I just shoot when my routine says I'm ready.

Ted K.

11. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I avoid shooting alone lately. My coach noticed I tend to lose focus when shooting with others because I try to outperform them. Hence he wants me to shoot with others so I can simulate a competitive situation and hopefully learn how to focus on my shooting, not that of others.

12. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Shooting alone .... is a drag. Which is why I don't do it unless it's a league makeup. What kind of practice is it anyway ? Practice for what ATA event where anyone shoots alone ? If you go to an ATA registered shoot, I have yet to see anyone shooting alone. Just relax in the clubhouse until the squad is either full or has at least 3 shooters on it. My $.02.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

13. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

I shoot practice a ton either by myself or with one other guy. Not too many people shoot trap at my club, and members have 24/7 access to the trap fields. Its great for convenience, but it causes people to go at random times. This just means it is rare to show up and have another person there. I believe this has really caused my registered scores to suffer when shooting on a full squad. I just have to accept it though because with 2 young children, its either shoot when I can, or not shoot at all.

14. 2labman

2labman Member

When I shoot by myself I get so pissed 'cause the other guy takes so dang long to shoot he disrupts the squad rythem and throws us all off.

(Sarcasm of course)

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Handicap shooting is the only event where we may have to shoot a round alone if tied. If you don't learn how to pace yourself when that happens, good luck cause your gonna need it big time! In such cases, controlling the adrenalin surges is mighty important to prevail. Hurried shooting alone means your wanting to get this over with haste pronto and you'll usually lose out. I don't mind shooting by myself under those circumstances at all!

Hap

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

When I am in a squad of 5-4-3-2-or by myself, I go through the same motions, I also turn my shells so that the writing is at the top, REMINGTON, AA, Etc.
    and I am looking for a four leaf clover when shooting on a grassy pad, and on the gravel and concrete I am looking at a shell concentrating.

I try to put myself in my ZONE, I do not normally look at the target in front of me, nor do I look way out in front.

I don't know what will happen if I ever spot that FOUR LEAF CLOVER.

When I am concentrating I shoot very well, but I have designed my own concentration method.

I think every shooter should do this, have his own routine and follow it without fail.

We only beat our selves.

One other thing is know your trigger pull settings, and if you shoot a release
    know what they are, write them down in a small note book and keep it inside your gun case.

I know mine by heart 56 oz set 28oz release.

Also have a trigger pull gauge and check your gun often.

Especially on Ljutics as they change, look for worn, broken hammer pin, trigger pin, bent trigger pin, weak springs, hammer spring, trigger spring.

Roll the pins on a piece of Glass, like a picture frame if you don't have a piece of flat glass, bent ones will wobble or not roll.

I think the 1/8th inch pins in a Ljutic is a weak point, they are too small, but that is my opinion.

Kreighoff K-80s Release triggers vary shot to shot depending on the style of hammers and where the hook, hooks the hammer, I have found this out as there were at one time 3 different style of hammers. Where the hook, hooks is not perfectly square but has a slight slope.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. BD457

BD457 Member

MMcVitty: "make sure the shell is turned so that the writing is right side up"

Dr. Longshot: "I also turn my shells so that the writing is at the top"

So THAT'S what I'm doing wrong! If the writing is pointing in a different direction on each shell, does the shot direction also vary? I thought I just wasn't shooting worth a damn.

Seriously though, what's the magic in doing this?

Mike

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'm much more interested in what Mother Nature is doing to the competitors birds than an upside down $T$ hidden in my chamber? :)

Harem Crampbull

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just take your time so the pace is comfortable and unrushed...I shot a bunch by myself because I was ill and had to shoot from a shooting stool and out of consideration didn't want to hold up the rest of my buddies so they could shoot their best..I managed just fine once I just relaxed

20. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Most of the posters above have good points, but they all seem to break down to - 1. Maintain your usual rituals and rhythms. 2. Don't feel you have to rush.

I got in a handicap shootoff last year with a 20 yard shooter. As I shoot long yardage, we shot separately. I wandered off to my truck, got 4 boxes of shells, hit the head, talked to a friend, then went back to the trap field. I had no idea how he had shot, nor did I care. I started shooting at my pace, taking my time between shots and making sure I followed my routine between shots. I dropped a bird in the shootoff, but still won. One of the guys watching told me later that my timing was just about bang on for the time a full squad would take. My point is, if you shoot well one way, don't change anything if you shoot a short squad or by yourself, and you should shoot just as well as usual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you shoot trap by yourself

shooting trap by yourself

trap shooting by tourself

trap shooting by yourself