1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Bunker Trap @ Cardinal Center

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Eric Mirosavich, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

I will be at the Cardinal Center for the Waterfowlers Bootcamp Festival this Saturday. I checked the Cardinal Centers website and it says they offer Bunker practice Saturdays from 11-4pm.

I was wondering if anyone shoots there regularly. After searching the previous threads on TS.com, I am planning on bringing my Sporting Clays gun with Angleport's (.025/.035). That sound reasonable? Anything else I should know? Helpful pointers for a Bunker virgin?

TY

2. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

start with the link above - lots of helpful info

3. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

so does the cardinal center shoot international trap every saturday with their regular trap shooting or does it have to be an event? Thanks

4. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Thanks for the info. I checked out site and watched the video's. Getting excited to go bunker blasting!

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Eric, All you need is plenty of ammo, stamina, and $$$. Have fun, it is different. ;) Bob

6. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Eric: Think fast! Two biggest differences, the targets fly immediately on call. You say "huh" and you got a target. As for the speed, if can watch a few rounds before you shoot for sure do that. I'm learning slowly and found if you really concentrate they don't seem that fast and ATA will seem really slow! Biggest challenge is the angles, those 45 degree low screamers. Set your vision out a little farther, call the target when you are really ready to go, and have fun! Hal Hitchcock

7. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I hope you enjoy it - they don't give out gold medals to just anybody so it is by necessity extremely difficult. Make sure you use international shells instead of handicap loads - the light payload and fast speed allows you to stay in the gun for a 2nd shot if needed, if the recoil takes you out of the gun the 2nd shot is impossible to get off with any accuracy. Check your POI, flatter shooting guns are better. If your gun is choked start with Mod and Full.

Most ATA shooters that come over to try bunker can make the shots inside the 30 degree arc - it's when you get outside the 30 degree arc that folks have problems. They're just not used to turning that far, that fast. Try a few dry mounts standing in the middle of a large room, now turn and shoot the corners left and right, now shoot the ceiling left and right. Learning to keep your gun UNDER the target and not cover it up is key to hitting those low screamers. Staying IN THE GUN for those 3 meter 45 degree lefts and rights is key, the high target is a slower target so you have more time and you will see more target face.

And taking your time over the gun is preferred but not essential - I watched Ryan Hadden shoot several rounds at the Nationals, that guy is awesome. He sets up quick and breaks targets closer to the house than anybody else I weatched. I timed him and he was right at 4 seconds - that is a lot faster than most bunker shooters who take twice that time on average. There is a set up time that is optimal for you - don't be afraid to take your time, bunker shooters are generally very patient.

8. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Had a great time today. Ended up shooting a 18/19/24. I was holding a foot or so over the house for the first two rounds. The low angles were beating me. Luckily the trapper said, "hold lower on the house, international shooters aim at the white clay."

I focused on the white clay for the last round and smashed all but 1. Most on the first shot, the second was wasted trying to bust up the remains.

Maybe I can find some squad mates next time I make it down. I had to wake the trapper up from his nap on the bench to get started. Apparently bunker shooters dont practice...

9. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

So does Cardinal shoot international trap every saturday?

10. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

NICE shooting.... 24 your first time out is awesome. Stick with it, (there are some real cool people that shoot this). --- see below!

Wildcat, that was a good summary of techniques. I found out the hard way that "less is more", thinking I could get an edge shooting 1.18 loads. Those high speed 24 gram shells are the ticket for two fast shots.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.