1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Bullseye Pistol

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Since I have had shoulder surgery, and am waiting for more test results, I cannot shoot my shoulder arms.

I joined a nearby indoor range and am shooting NRA Bullseye with the 22 and 45 Match pistols.

I did this when young, and was on a Military Pistol team in Europe (back in the Dark Ages). Had forgotten how satisfying it is to shoot a handgun well offhand.

Am to the point where better ammo is needed for the 22, but I have good ammo for the 1911.

This is not so bad, but I just bought a fabulous Blaser Luxus, got extra goodies for it, and cannot shoot it now. Hopefully, I will be back next spring.

For those with shoulder issues, try a Match Grade 1911 and Match 22. BTW, I shoot shoulder arms, Magnum and Defensive handguns right handed, Bullseye Pistol left handed. I know, I swing both ways. LOL

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What bullet were you shooting in the 45? Handloads?

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Those 45-caliber holes look like the work of semi-wadcutters.

Coach, if those groups were shot at 25 yards (they appear to be 25-yard bulls), that's darned good! Even if they are from 50 feet, I see a lot worse groups on targets from the league shoots at the nearby 50-foot indoor range I belong to.

Like you, I used to be a good offhand shot and even won some matches. But that was in the 1970s and 1980s and like they say, "used to" died. Due to my eye problem, I cut way back on the trapshooting and have started to shoot my S&W revolvers and my 1911 a lot more. I even bought a 22LR conversion kit for the 1911 and enjoy it but my offhand groups are still in the "development" stages.

Ed

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Show off.... Nice shooting!

I tried it for a while and was all over the place. I now have a government target MK II in my safe that feels neglected. Place her on a solid rest and squeeze 10 off and they go in a quarter sized spot. Off hand I'm lucky to get them all in the 7 ring.

My .45 is pretty lonesome too.

Guy B.

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Nice pistol work. Those old timers I grew up around were amazing, like a machine rest with hairy arms. Position was body turned and only one hand on the pistol, I only know one other guy who still shoots that way. They would pound a hole in the middle time after time. I can still remember the smell of beeswax lube cast bullets over hercules bullseye powder. Of course the ventilation was not too good then and you would be blowing soot out of your nose for two days after league night. It has been a long time since I was able to shoot in a Bullseye league. My game was PPC, that died away also. I liked conventional 2700 bullseye. They even changed the rules so you only needed two pistols, but I do not know any clubs that still run it.

On a good day I can still run about 93 pecent on a regulation B-16 target.

Because I had 3 heart attacks in the last 10 months, I have been shooting pistol more and hardly any shotgun. I think it is good to be accomplished with all parts of the shooting sports. Nice shooting!

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Coach, I've had excellent results with Eley primed Aguilla pistol and rifle match..

Bullseye and PPC still alive in SE Michigan..

7. WillBill

WillBill Member

You probably don't need better ammo for the .22. For the S&W 41, reliability is the most important factor. Better (read $$$) ammo won't improve your group much more than 1/4"-3/8" over 25 yds, if that. Stay with what cycles.

As for the .45, nice group(s). Be more careful with re-establishing your grip after each mag change, though.

Each target is well grouped, but each 15-shot group is a bit low, so check your hold and/or sight adjustment.

All in all, good shooting and, yes, bullseye is fun! For even more fun, get a match grade air pistol and shoot some 10 meter targets!

Will

8. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Great shooting! I have several old school wadcutter .45s that I love to shoot.
    My favorite one is a 70 series National Match with Bomar Tuner Rib and stippled frame.

9. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

FOR BULLSEYE-REMEMBER EVERY 22, EVEN OF THE SAME MANUFACTURER LIKES SOME AMMO BETTER THAN OTHERS-I'M A MASTER (OUTDOORS) AND SHOOT A HAMMERLI 215S. BELIEVE IT OR NOT IT LIKES CCI STANDARD BEST OF ALL INCLUDING THE THE HIGH END ELEY.
    BEST THING TO DO IS BUY A BOX OF EACH AND REST THE WEAPON, FIRE FOR THE BEST GROUP@50 YARDS-THIS WILL LET YOU KNOW WHICH WAY TO GO-SHOOT ONLY STANDARD VELOCITY FOR BULLSEYE-RICK ZINO

10. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Good shooting Coach! What are the specs on your pistols? Bone stock, any modifications?

11. Shooting Coach

S&W 41 is bone stock, Gold Cup has full length guide rod and real walnut grips. A little massaging of stock parts, 19 lb mainspring in Colt's. That' about it.

200 gr Widener's cast SWC under 4 gr Titegroup, COAL 1.260. Never a stoppage in over a decade in the Cup. When these bullets are gone, have some Berry's plated 200 gr SWC to try.

For 66 year old eyes and HUGE glasses, I started off thinking if I could still keep them in the black, this was good.

The place I joined has a 25 yd range. Shot first timed fire in a long time with the 41 today, 99/100 6X. I know there is work to be done, but am happy to be shooting at all right now.

CCI Standard Velocity works the 41, but I had an off sounding load the other day which stovepiped. Still in the X ring, oddly enough.

Have Rem Match on order, if gun does not do better, then CCI Green Tag.

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Bullseye shooting was great in Chicago in the 70's. I shot in two leagues. The Tri-County League included Cook, DuPage and Lake counties. Our team was the Morton Grove American Legion team. We shot against the BATF and the Chicago Police Department, to name just two. The best team in the league was Winfield-Scott, a tiny suburb of Chicago.

The other league was the Chawaba league which was mostly in the northern suburbs. The local police departments let us use their pistol ranges for our matches.
    We brought them coffee and donuts when we showed up for our evening matches.
    It was the norm to see them bring in prisoners for processing and booking from the night's criminal activities. Most of our team were also trapshooters.

My best memory was the time we beat the heavily favored Chicago Police Department team at their range. In all fairness, their top shooter wasn't there, but still it was a great win, and for me one of my highlights. As anchor of our team I won the very last match to eak out the victory.

I haven't shot a pistol more than a few times in years, but you never lose the
    technique. It's like riding a bike. Fight to hold the sight picture while it settles underneath the bull. All this time you're squeezing the trigger, until
    it all comes together and the gun fires at the instant your sights are right on target. Just as thrilling as smashing a hard angle at 27 yards.

I shot a 22 cal S&W Model 41 bull barrel, a S&W 52-1 for centefire, and a Shockey accurized Colt 1911 45 auto - all iron sights. Then in 1981 Morton Grove banned handguns, a ban that lasted 25 years until the Supreme Court decision in Heller. It was, however, the end of our pistol team. Meanwhile, in one suburb after another, the anti's in the village councils argued that our presence in the police department ranges created a liability issue, and we lost the use of their ranges. That along with the handgun bans in Morton Grove, Wilmette, Evanston, and other suburbs in Cook County, shut down the Chawaba League as well.

But it was great while it lasted.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    In addition to a Model 41, I also shot Bullseye with a Model 52. Did not have a Gold Cup, so I used a S&W Model 25 Model of 1955 Target. Found it was a bit more accurate than the Series 80 Gold Cups of that time period.

Haven't shot any of these in a long time. Will have to dig them out of the safe when good weather comes and try them again. My eyesight has changed and I have to wear reading glasses to see the sights now.

14. Shooting Coach

I liked the 52, but it seemed small, light, and very picky about ammo. It seemed if I even changed primers, I had to dig out the sight adjustment tool.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Nice shoot'n there coach. I never have been worth a darn with pistols and I've shot some good target pistols. I put a lot of rounds thru my pistols and I'm just ok.

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I better have a Red Dot....or I suck.

Trigger slappers make poor pistol shooters.

17. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Hey you ol guys (no disrespect intended) keep it up I enjoy the stories and the info. Scott

18. 3357

3357 Member

Coach, after reading your post, you brought back some great memories for me, I used to shoot the police bullseye match at Jackson, Michigan every year when I was wearing a badge. I was on a strict budget back then and used a Smith 6" heavy barrel mod 14 with a single action only conversion.

Thanks for refreshing my memories of good friends, good times, (and some great ice cream) Jess Reed

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Brian, I also cannot see the sights clearly and went to drug store reading glasses but the target then looked like an blurry football standing on end. I mentioned that in a column, prompting Dr. Harold Morgan from Olean, New York to email me saying that he thought he could make glasses for me that would allow me to see both the sights and the target with clarity. I was a skeptic but provided him with my distance Rx (+1.50) and the yardage at which I customarily shoot (25).

A few months later, I had glasses that do exactly what he said they would. I would say that I can see both objects with 90% or better clarity with no eye strain or other discomfort. I've tried the glasses at 50 feet and 25 yards; Dr. Morgan claims they should work for me up to 50 yards. You might want to contact him at 800-594-0175.

Ed

20. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Ed,

Are your glasses different than the style that Decot offers, where they will put the bifocal lens on the top of the right eye piece (if you are right handed?

JON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bullseye indoor shooting kit

bullseye pistol shooting forum
bullseye pistol shooting glasses
bullseye pistol shooting tips
bullseye shooters about shooting low and holding pistol steady one hand
bullseye shooters i am not holding pistol property shooting with 1 hand
shooting forum pistole

shooting glasses for 22lr bullseye shooting