1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Beyond 27 Yards

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pdq, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdq

    pdq Member

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2006
    Messages:
    934
    For those people who debate the need to stretch handicaps beyond the 27 yard line, I thought you'd find this of interest.

    I recently bought a book about Parker Brothers guns. In there is a photo dated 1893 with the shooter on the 28 yard line. Behind him is a station marked as 30 yards.

    Consider this in terms of the fact that guns where chambered for 2.5" shells, and were shooting powder that's of no comparison to what we shoot today, and it's pretty interesting.

    Pete
     
  2. rocktire

    rocktire Member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Messages:
    218
    Our club ranges back to 45 yards, but only for playing games. It is pretty amazing to see what some people use to break targets from that far. I have personally seen target broke playing Annie Oakley from the 45 on the 4th shot. That is close to 90 yds. It is not a very high percentage shot but it happens. We have guys that are very deadly shots from 35 or less and that is where we do most of our shooting unless we need to get a game over with. It is a lot of fun to shoot from that far just to see what you can do. Try it some time.
     
  3. rocktire

    rocktire Member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Messages:
    218
    I think the 27 yard rule is fine. If you think there needs to be a longer handicap it is probably because you are getting beat consistantly, otherwise there would be no complaints. That is what shoot-offs are for.
     
  4. brownk80

    brownk80 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2007
    Messages:
    640
    At the California Indians every year we shoot "Miss & Out". Everyone gets two misses and your out. The finalists often times are shooting at least 50+ yards from the house. If any of you have ever been to Sage Hill, NV I can tell you that I have shot from the path past the on-deck board and two years ago the finalists shot from the corner of the outside grill at targets on field one (5 stand field) that were set as fast, as high and as hard right as you can get and it took seven (7) shots before only one person was standing. Everyone shoots the same shell too. Those targets had to be close to 100 yards away.
     
  5. JACK

    JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2006
    Messages:
    14,686
    Location:
    NW Wisconsin
    BrownK80. Sounds like a blast.
     
  6. Dr.Longshot

    Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    5,722
    We shoot a long shot from 75+ yards every Thursday and they furnish the shell to 3 lucky drawn numbers, shell is 3 dram 7 1/2s Winchester Super target.

    I broke one from extreme right side a crossing target using their shell as listed above and won $160.00, I smoked it.

    To get in you submit $2.00 and pick a number from a list and write in your name
    and they draw 3 numbers from a shaker bottle, the winner gets 75% of the building up pot until it is broken, club keeps the other 25%.

    It is presently at $66.00 to the winner.

    When target is broken we change the spot for the next long shot.


    Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
     
  7. ricks1

    ricks1 TS Member

    Joined:
    May 7, 2007
    Messages:
    1,545
    try a pattern at 100yds a dog can walk through it. A target is about 1x4 in you are not going to "smoke" it.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting from 27 yards