1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Better Handicap Then 16's<--Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ken Mills, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken Mills

Ken Mills Member

I am no pro, but I had the same problem awhile back and the biggest thing that helped me was slowing down. Make sure you see the target well before you move your gun and when you make your move be smooth and percise, good angles, follow through everything. Don't be jumpy or jerky, I always though on th e16yd line the target had me beatand I as playing catch up because i wasn't looking in the right places and seeing fully. I would panic and get way our of rythum. See the target and focus on it be smooth, 16yd targets take more gun movement and are harder to see so work alittle harder. 16yd takes much more gun movement than 27yd in my case. Good Luck if you have any more questions about whats helped me e-mail me Ken Mills

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Drew, I did the same thying for awhile at first. It will turn around. Shot my first 25 ever at registered handicap. Bill

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Drew: I hear you loud and clear!

I agree with Ken, above, that more barrel movement is required in 16's, and that's why I shoot 27 better or as good, and enjoy it more.

I really don't like 16's because it's a helluva lot more work. One miss and you're done for that event.

I shoot a 0.018" choke for 16's, and 0.028" for handicap in all my Perazzi's. Britt Robinson agrees with me that in MY SHOOTING style, these are perfect. I shoot fast, so I can get away with (or probably need it) a more open choke. If you are shooting the same gun for both disciplines, then I'd have to assume that your handicap choke is so tight that ANY slign off-target shots are a miss. The same, of course, holds true with my doubles guns; very open: 0.015" and 0.020".

Lots of folks really believe the old addage "Choke for smoke." My feeling about that this falls in the same boat with "Figure 8" bead alignment. That boat sailed out to sea long ago and has never been seen since.

Here's what we did to determine a choke for me. (1) Had a couple of good shooters (with good eyes) stand on traps adjacent to the one I was shooting 16's on. They were to determine about where I broke the target in relationship to the distance from the edge of the trap house. (2) Using that distance, I patterened all my tubes until I hit a tube that gave me a good, dense pattern... and NOT TOO DENSE. I can still smoke a target, but when I do, I scratch my head wondering why. I'd prefer to brake 100, than smoke 98. I successfully used the Berlin-Wannasee shotgun choke method to verify my conclusions.

I've been a 27 yarder for all but one year my ATA shooting history; 36 years, so I *think* I can speak from experience.

Good luck in finding your solution.

Whiz

4. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

Drew,,, you hooked a couple of big ones this time Mx8Dave

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I guess if you consider someone offering some GOOD advice, being hooked, then (1) you don't enough to do, or (2) you're just a pot stirrer. How long you been on the 27, Dave? You're not, are you...what 24½?

I'll answer the call for help anytime I think I can offer something. I've probably been shooting a helluva lot longer and more successful that you... like 35 yrs at the 27, Dave.

Whiz

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

One item to add to the above is where you look out over the trap when shooting 16's. This maybe another item to play with to see if it helps.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I think it's fairly simple, your pattern at handicap distances are bigger than for the singles. Lots of beginning shooters experience this at the start of trapshooting, even old timers too. The time elapsed between the call and the shots are about the same for both disciplines. Distance makes the heart grow fonder and the pattern wider? :)

Hap

8. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Active Member

If you shoot doubles, try shooting that gun for singles. Generally a bit lower POI and the extra weight may help smooth out your swing.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Whiz, dont let the idiots bother you. People on her value your advice as I do

10. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Did the 95 get you a yard?

Ajax

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

RickN, you are correct, they may be many reasons.

"The difference between your handicap and 16 yardage is not what's causing the problem."

Missing more singles than handicaps is his complaint. I merely gave an explanation as to ONE of the possible reasons. Shooting singles at 28 to 30 yards with a full choke pattern is very different than the pattern at handicap distances of 35 to 42 yards? With most shooters, the time lapse from call to shot is about the same for both disciplines so pattern size could also play a part!

Hap

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Pheasantkiller/Devimaster, where to be looking on 16's has become very interesting and sometimes erratic. Hmmm, (Devimaster) I kind of like the sound of that. You may want to consider a new handle. :>) Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting why score better at handicap