1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting behind targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

For some weird reason I've started shooting behind straightaways on stations 4 & 5. Lost close to 20lbs so far. Also feel way out of touch with my gun.

Thanks for any insight--Phil Berkowitz

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Phil. Line up the beads till yo figure it out.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Phil, if the targets are set according to ATA guidelines, you won't get a true straight away from post 5 or post 1! You must shoot on the money side of that clay to break it consistently. Watch a few posts from behind the line, count the number of TRUE straight targets that come out, from all positions? Stations 2-3 and 4, yes, but not 1 and 5. You'd have to step in about 3 feet toward the center to see a true straight away target from those 2 stations.

Hap

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is quite easy to mis-read a slightly angled target as a straight away target. Also, if you shoot a little slow, some targets tend to curve to the right as they reach the top of their flight.

Pat Ireland

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Phil. Almost all temporary ills of missed shots can be corrected by "keeping your gun in the target". It forces you to llead and focus.

But you may be crossfiring. I know about that. I am an expert.

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, can't cross fire, since I'm a one eyed shooter. I'm starting to do more upper body exercises to build up arm strength & stamina. Hope its just a case of not having enough strenthg to maintain gun conrol & not something else. I'm on a serious contolled diet program & I know I'm loss some muscle mass along with the body fat.

Phil Berkowitz

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Phil, Why are you building up your upper body??? You move a shotgun with your legs,waist(hips), and back!!! If you move it with your arms or shoulders "that is your problem" as your eye is moving around on the gun and its not shooting where you are looking. You might want to try working out your waist, and lower back. Legs would not hurt as well. Hope this helps you out. Remember once your set for a target and you call for one, nothing above your belly button should be moved. Break-em all. Jeff

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

After lifting & mounting a gun several hundred times, I believe my arms, & shoulders could be a bit stronger. Also hand & arm strength is need to keep astill, locked controlled gun. The upper body is just part of the equation. I get on a treadmill 30-45 minutes a day. Since losing weight my blood pressure & back,leg pain are all much better.

Phil Berkowitz

9. locdoc

locdoc Member

Phil,

Since you have lost 20 pounds I can't help but think that some of it came from your cheek. It has happened to me when I added some "winter freight". It was very easy to correct with my PFS. It could be your eye is no longer truly behind the beads. fwiw

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

10. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Phil, Lost a bunch of weight last year and shot poorly. Just had gun(s) refitted and guess what? The pitch needed changing, recoil pad lowered 1/4", and the comb moved way out! Not in as one would suspect with a weight loss. Go figure. Oh yes, I'm starting to hit targets again! Stick with it, good luck.

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Guess what, my gun fit was way out, thought it was right. Put a larger bead & I could"see" the mid bead now & it was out of line. I had to move the comb away from my cheek to get it to get in line. Going to the range tomorrow & shoot a bunch of straight-aways to check my impact. And then start shooting some games.

Phil Berkowitz

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Cheeseburgers, milkshakes and beer will get you back there. Actually, no and good job on the weight loss.

I'll bet the gun is shooting low now. Go shoot those straight aways and find out.

13. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Like MIA stated, stay in the gun. Had that problem for a while. I corrected it by following the biggest piece off a broken clay. Do that for a while on hits and misses and you should be able to work through it. Good luck

14. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

My kid was struggling with missing his rights.

We put the full choke in and set the trap house to throw straightaways to get a better read on the breaks and noticed that he was hitting the left side on most of the targets.

Moved the comb to the right one click, put the IM back in and walla! Broken targets again.

SW

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Well, finally corrected the problems, had to move my comb almost 3/16 to the right--would have never thought that a 22 lb weight loss would have that great of an effect on gun fit. Looks like I will have to keep an I on fit during my dieting.
    Thanks for all the hints guys.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.