1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting behind targets!!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

All of a sudden I started shooting behind hard rights on station 5.I'm a one eyed shooter with a bad back. What can I do to get ahead of the targets ,again?

Phil Berkowitz

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Set the trap to hard rights, shoot a 100 shells, or until you get it right.

3. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Learn to paint the target
    Try and pull the trigger as you pass the target with your gun and continue to follow through
    Keep pushing the gun well beyond where the target goes
    This will teach you to follow the target...

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

If you are a right handed shooter, open your stance up more. Bill Malcolm

5. wanderer

wanderer Member

Bend your left knee so you can swing easier, and start your point further out on the corner of house. Good shooting. GEG.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Take your normal stance, then without moving the heel of your right foot, move your toe about one inch to the right. You can see the results of this by standing up now and swinging your body before and after moving your toe only.

Also, thing about going after the target aggressively.

Pat Ireland

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I don't know what yardage you are shooting from, but you could give em an extra second to get out there which will give you time to catch up to them. The biggest problem I have ever had with hard rights is just trying to shoot them to quick.

FWIW Nick

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Try holding outside the corner of the house, maybe 5 ft. or more and see if you don't move to those hard rights better. The potential dilemma is the possibility of an awkward move back to the left for those birds.....Bob Dodd

9. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

You are most likely bead checking. Remedy, look only at the target. For a one-eyed shooter (such as myself) that can be easier said than done. But it's a necessary thing to do.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Since shootin behind ain't workin, try missin in front and see how that goes? Hap

11. canada

canada Member

Do the opposite of what BDodd said. Never hold outside the house. You'll shoot behind more targets trying to cut them off. Its an awkward move and you'll miss more straight aways too. Try holding inside the trap. From post 5 hold between the front right and the back right corner. If you're already off the corner, at least get back on it. It will force you to swing more and a a bit faster when the bird comes out. You'll be on the flight path of the bird too.

Pat Lamont

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

And for anyone wondering if any of this has credibility... do this

Go to shootATA and type in "Lamont" in the shooter information center and look for "Patrick R. MB"

Nice to meet you Pat. Very nice.

Jack

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Along with Pat, I've sometimes found that it helps to start my gun out right where the trap is sitting. (center of roof)I am also a one eyed shooter with a less than respectable average. Bob

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hap gave some good advice in a few words. Sometimes after some very low scores on the first 50, I will intentionally try to shoot over the top of handicap birds. I can't shoot over the top well, all I do is break more birds when I try to shoot over them.

Pat Ireland

15. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Try Pre-Shoot loosing up exercises...At my age, if I don't loosen up, I find myself shooting behind targets due to being stiff and unable to follow thru...Dale

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try shooting some skeet. Good practice for getting ahead of angle targets. HMB

17. don q

don q TS Member

If you are bead checking try a black felt pen on the beads per Kiner. It helped me a lot. don q

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I agree with V10......sounds like bead-checking. Focus harder on the target and let your sub-concious mental fire control computer take care of the lead.

John C. Saubak

19. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Phil,

I too am a one eyed shooter who converted from a two eyed shooter. I have found that holding about 6 inches outside and about 4 inches above the corners have allowed me to more easily get in front of the hard angles quickly.

I think this is because shooting one-eyed it takes a bit longer to pick up a target and the longer you have to swing to catch up, the greater the margin for error.

If holding outside does help on the hard angles, you will have to learn not to cut off targets that are straight or just slight angles out of the house. This reguires that you slide to the gun with those targets as you bring it up. I don't have a problem with the rights, but because I see from the left more clearly, those presentations look really easy and I have to make sure I don't cut off one of those from being lazy.

Also, it you have a limitation on range of movement, as suggested above, open your stance.

The most important thing is work out what works for you at the range. Lock the machine and start experimenting until you find the combination that works for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting behind trap target