1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting ATA reg. targets and $$$$

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by darwinbene, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darwinbene

darwinbene Member

I am looking at the money it takes to shoot ATA reg. targets for the new year. I haven't seen a thread for a while about the subject and wondering if anyone else is having to do more in planning because of cost.

I like to attend the Spring Grand in Tucson but got the program a couple of weeks past and target fees per 100/300 is now $39-$105 per day. On top of that there is fuel to travel at $4.00-$4.25 currently, and maybe more by Feb.and lodging at maybe $35-$40/night and meals. It is going to be taxing if I decided to go. At this point I won't be going near as much this next year because of increases in traveling and shooting. I will be staying more at home to do my shooting.

The Grand Am, this last year, just for targets and the lewis purse for the ATA prelim. and grand week, was just over $ll00.00 and I am sure it will be more next year. Plus the shells, traveling, lodging, and groc. I am retired and work part time to pay for my habit and I am spending all I make PT + to shoot for the year.

So, it looks like, at present time, I won't be going to the Grand or any Satillite Grands. Is anyone else having to do more planning and cutting back?

Darwin NE Colorado

2. nudehunter1

nudehunter1 Member

just back from MTA fall classic, only shot in 5 events cost me over $220 for targets, plus over 2 cases of factory's, camping not on site was $36 a night, gas was $3.65 a gallon,70 gallons, 500 miles round trip. I'm also retired and work occasionally driving a hay truck to help finance. spent lots on reloading supplys,and bought a realy used perazzi, I don't want to add it all up.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

The Grand is now a $3000 vacation...

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Darwin, You are correct! No surprises here. Shooting competitive trap at these events (even smaller local ones) is a recreation reserved for those with lots of disposable income...and it is getting worse. Even if you go to shoot just for the fun of being there (targets only?) the costs you have identified are substantial and are only expected to go higher...tough on a fixed income. But there are always local derbies and leagues which may be affordable....for now. Painful. Best Regards, Ed

5. darwinbene

darwinbene Member

Unloader, the $39/100 is: $33/100 for targets and trophies plus $6.00 daily fees for ATA and AZ State fees. So if you shoot 300 targets per day that would be $33/100= $99 and $6.00 daily fees= $105.00/day. If my math is wrong please let me know.

Of course, on top of that $105.00 is shells at $5.00 to $9.00/box for factory ammo and about $3.50 to $4.05/box for reloads, plus lodging and meals. By the end of 2weeks or one week and that would be some where around $425.oo to $750.00 for lodging and meals. Shells would be $80 to $108/day for factory loads. Just these toatls would be what?

So, yes it is a sport and it is for the rather affulent people. The avg. Joe, like me, can't afford these prices. $12000 to $15000/year is enough for this sport for myself.

Darwin

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

It cost me $18,000 a year to put #1 son on 4 All-American teams in the mid-90's. That's why I worked two jobs. Fur prices are up. McDonalds is always hiring. Who says retirement is a must at 62 yo? I'll be 65 and still putting in 60 hrs./wk to make ends meet and still shoot some. Oh yeah, my feet are killing me along with my back and every day is a challenge to keep up!!

7. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Almost not worth it. Lots of fun just shooting leagues and fun shoots around the Northwest. In Idaho, we see more and more guys saying no to costs of ATA.

Still love an ATA shoot, but there is a limit.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Use $92-$95 per hundred targets just to shoot at a large shoot. This includes targets and fees, fuel, shells, and camping fees/rooms. It doesn't include the mileage on your truck or cost of a camper, options, practice rounds, cost of your guns,or the deduction of winnings. Those are all fluctuating costs for each shooter. Depends if you share a room, shoot 300 targets per day, shoot reloads etc.

Scary. Hope the wife never cranks the numbers on this stuff.

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The cost has tripled in nine years. Makes it tuff to really get after it!

10. chemist

chemist Member

I recently shot the North Jersey zone. Friday events( 300) , sat singles( 200) and sun caps( 100) .I opted to shoot new AA shells, that I did not get at discount. I did not enter Lewis or other money chances. I live 28 miles away ( truck gets 12 mpg.) I won my class( C) in singles on Friday with the highest that I have shot with a 99 and tied in Sunday caps. Was it worth it, YES. Will I do it again. I doubt it, as a senior on fixed income, that cost would not be practical for me to do very often. I did enjoy the social aspect, so money isn't the only consideration, but it is getting difficult to make the required targets for the year.

Rich Kaplan- chemist

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

So what is the point?

There are allot of things I'd like to do and afford, that I can’t do or afford.

I find a way to afford the things that are most important to me:

#1 - Food

&

#2 - Shelter

All the rest are luxuries.

Do you want an entitlement that makes trap shooting more affordable?

Things cost more now than they did. This is not rocket science and the good old days are gone.

Many of us will reflect on THESE as the good old days.

I'll wager that bowling isn't as affordable as it once was either.

Guy Babin

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

My ATA shooting is nearing an end. Too boring,too expensive. I shoot and enjoy the Anny Oakleys on thurs. eve. Much more fun & usually win part or all of my money back. I some times wonder why I ever shot all those ATA registered?

Registered trap shooting started out as a rich man's game and it will end there.
    Clyde

13. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I am just about at the point where ATA shooting may be a thing of the past for me too.

Not that I prefer league/merchandise shoots more enjoyable. It's just plain economics. Maybe I have been living in denial for a few years but it may have finally come to a boiling point with increased costs. Not complaining one bit.
    I don't see any of the costs associated with this game coming back down to the point of me being able to afford to shoot every weekend like I used to. Even the State Shoot is about over the tipping point for me.

Tim

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Why do registered targets have to cost as much as they do? In above example, $33 for 100 birds which cost @$8-9, leaving up to $25 in event and trophy expense plus a spiff for the profit margin...

Are we not at the point where every additional charged dollar is chiseling into participation... registered targets are getting priced like cigarette "sin" taxes - and we see how that's working...

Is there an economics/numbers guy who could offer some insight as to where the breaking point comes into play to maximize revenue while not stifling participation... for a given market?!

15. 3357

3357 Member

I figure it costs me $1 to shoot a registered target (all inclusive), year in and year out this has been a pretty accurate estimator.

You can pretty much do anything you want to do, you just cant do everything you want to do.

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If you live a local club that throws ATA targets it can get as low as $53 per hundred. One of our local clubs Williams County, charges $19/hundred for White flyer targets, but all the help is volunteers.

The youth shooters and other volunteers load and pull, so labor is minimal.

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

olliedawg...

Anybody that works 60 yrs/wk SHOULD feel worn out!

Keller

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Unknown1,

I get bored easily and don't know when to quit. My paltry Steel Co. pension would restrict me to a mac and cheese diet and I'd get bored with that real quick. Not only that, my 5 yo son burns through shoes and how could I afford that trip to Clearwater Beach at 5PM today. I'll send you a "wish you were here" card if you like!!

19. pdq

pdq Member

Trap shooting is one of the ***least*** expensive things you can do for fun.

Compare it to things that tons of people do for fun such as:

Golf

Boating

Getting Married

That last one can not only cost a ton of money (especially if you do it more than once), it can make you go deaf, and turn your hair white.

So -- stop all the complaining.

If you can't afford to go to a bunch of major shoots around the country, just acknowledge that fact, and don't. Shoot at your local club, enjoy the comradarie of your friends, and have a good time.

Or, do as I did this year. I only went to one "away" shoot at the Cardinal Center. I spent about $350 - $400/day, but it was a mini vacation for me, so I stayed in an upgraded room at the Marriott in Polaris, ate in some really nice restaurants there, paid for targets only, and had a great time. Wonderful shooting complex.

Remember, the glass that looks half empty is also half full. Be glad that you live in the greatest country in the world, your health is sufficient to allow you to shoot, and there are so many great people to shoot with.

Whining is very unproductive.

Pete

20. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<Blockquote><I>"Whining is very unproductive."</I></blockquote>That depends on how you define "unproductive"... remember: <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Keller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.