1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting at the Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

Does anyone at the Grand shoot from the 16 yard marks? Are all the shooters the elite shooters of trap? Does anyone go there and shoot a 20 or 21?

2. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Most of the shooters will shoot the 16 yard events and some of them will not break 90.

3. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I shot the Grand for the first time last year. I won nothing but did not embarass myself. And, yes, I had a 21 more than once! Go to the Grand. Sign up. Shoot some rounds. This life is not a rehearsal! I promise you will enjoy the experience! Jack

4. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

More aveerage shooters attend the Grand than the elites.

That is what makes it a Grand experience.
    An average joe can enter and hope lighting strikes and they shoot the score of their lifetime.

Even if you only shoot your average, you are building memories of shooting in a world class faculity. I have attended every year since the move to Sparta and have begun creating my own traditions.

A couple of years I gave into the heat and didn't fire a shot
    and still enjoyed the experience.

Did I mention the homemade peach icecream? Worth the trip from my home in Missouri for it alone.

Great place to have gun work and buy new toys.

Its a whole lot more than a shoot!

hope to see you there.

ed.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm guessing by your questions that you don't currently shoot ATA Registered Trap? That's ok, you can join and shoot the same day.

The Grand is for everyone. There are shooters from the lowest skill level(like me) all the way up to the best in the sport. How many sports do you know where a newcomer can shoot with the best in the sport on any given day? As suggested above, you should go. You don't know what you are missing.

6. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Plus, there is always a chance at winning the Lewis and possibly paying for your trip.

Bryan

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Come shoot with us Tom....

email provided and if you are really serious PM and we'll provide the phone number.

Guy Babin

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The Grand is an "open" shooting event. Almost everybody are amateurs. There are purses that you can play that you are protected from the wolves if you like to gamble a bit. There will be folks that shoot their first registered targets there. Anybody that can reach the counter with their money, can play.

All this makes our sports unique. Clay target shooting are the only sports I know of that ALL of their members are welcome to compete in their prospective World Championships.

They are wonderful sports. Trapshooting has given me a lifetime of pure enjoyment and lasting friends.

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I like to think of the Grand in a 1960's term: it is a "Happening" built around trapshooting, shopping and having fun. One great feature...take your trap gun and have it serviced by factory reps if this has not been done in some time. I don't play any options because I know my limitations...shooting skill and budget $$. I try to shoot an event or two - handicap only - just for fun. Best Regards, Ed

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Shooting the Grand the first time will be intimidating. But, it's worth the effort . see all you can see and enjoy yourself.

11. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

And what makes it so much fun is that we are all amateurs and that makes it fair.

GB

12. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Gary, quit rattling the cage. Are you there yet?

13. kfen

kfen Member

My son is really wanting to go. Do younger shooters play the options?

14. BigM-Perazzi

programs available on shootata.com

15. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

"Younger Shooters" has a new meaning these days. There are so many shooters who are young enough to classify as a Sub Junior or Junior and so many of them are outstanding shots. Playing any options is a very personal decision. If your young shooter is somewhat experienced and comfortable with spending your money to wager on him/herself, the lewis option is a good bet.

16. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

They don't call it the GRAND for nothing.I've been going for the last 3 years,and I wouldn't have it any other way.Personally,I'm not that good a shot,and my scores show it.YUKYUK........But,I still have the best time of my life there.I've made lots of friends from all over the country,good friends that otherwise I wouldn't have met.Most,if not all these folks are the salt of the Earth.This was stated before........this is an "Open" World Championship,and anyone can compete.Come on down,and eat some peach icecream......walk vendors row........join the ATA,and maybe....just maybe you'll shoot a few events.

D.P.Reynolds

17. Donm

Donm Active Member

Here we go again start talking about the Peach cobler right away. I just shorted out my key board again from drooling on it. A few days ago someone started a thread about the food and I just put on 2 lbs thinking about it. Ummm Root Beer floats.

18. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

"Do younger Shooters play the options"? A younger shooter won the big Lewis last year.

blade819 (leaving in 5 hrs.)

19. BigM-Perazzi

No, Harlan Campbell won the $26100 Martin lewis for HOA. the kid won the $100k Martin challenge shootoff. That was not an option.

20. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

This will be my first time ther and hope I do well but more than anything Im going to have fun with the friends Im going with... it is the experiance of the whole thing !!! Good luck and great shooting to all!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.