1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOOTING AT THE BIRD OF THE WEEK

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hinch, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Hinch

Hinch Member

Can anyone give some advice when shooting the bird of the week from 50yds back behind the trap house at about the 8 oclock shooting position? Shooting a estate 7.5 3 dram which they supply you with.My gun shoots at 80/20.Do you still float the bird or cover the bird.How much of a lead do you need on a hard left?I just can't seem to have any luck on hitting it.Looking for help.Thanks

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Go to the patterning board and see where your gun shoots at that distance. HMB

3. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Whatever I or anyone tells you will only be a guess. Speed of execution will be an ally. You don't have time to calculate.

My POI is higher than yours. I will be above the target,but also I will have a stronger move of acquisition.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  4. Jo2

Jo2 Member

Do you mean to imply that if you shoot a gun that shoots 9" high (80/20) at 40 yards that you would have to be 9" under the target to break it at that distance? I hope not!

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Jo2,
    Where would you point the gun? HMB

6. Jo2

Jo2 Member

My gun shoots 18" high at 40 yards and I touch the target with the bead to break it. You are shooting a rising target and since most people execute the shot well before the target reaches the peak of its trajectory, their gun has to shoot high to place the shot on the target, or they have to cover the bird to hit it. Point of impact is an individual thing, some shooters prefer a lower point of impact and feel comfortable covering the target, while others prefer a higher point of impact so they can see the target when they pull the trigger. If it works for the individual shooter, neither scenario is wrong, but to say that where a gun shoots on a still target (pattern board) can be applied to a target that is moving quickly in an upward direction, is incorrect.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is never incorrect to know where your gun shoots. The POI in relation
    to the POA at a given yardage will help you hit the target. HMB

8. super-x1

super-x1 Member

Leads are a function of distance, target speed, shell velocity, target rise or fall, gun speed etc. etc. Having said all that just practice the target with your regular style and equipment. Try more or less lead, over under target, shoot quicker and slower until that computer between your ears makes the connection. Then repeat!