1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting at night

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Surfside6, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surfside6

Surfside6 TS Member

What are the best colored lenses for trap shooting at night under the lights. Thank you, Tom

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Clear or light yellow for most situations.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

What Martin said.

ss

4. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

I have found that white targets under good lights appear to have a tail. I tried presription glasses and no help. one night i decided to try different colors and found that the red lenses made the white targets appear orange. worked pretty well and made the tail dissappear.JMO

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

There is no "best color" for everyone. It depends on your eyes and brain interpret color.

On orange targets yellow lenses don't do a thing for me at night; they work OK on lime green targets but thankfully no place I shoot throws those things. I prefer a light V-lite tint for orange targets at night and a slightly darker tint for sunny days. <center>
    [​IMG]<br><I>Night</I><br>
    [​IMG]<br><I>Day</I></center>

MK

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

A slight yellow tint or clear. Night targets seem to glow white. Most guys also blacken their front bead. A big white front bead seems to draw eyes back to the bead at night. I switched to a smaller white front bead and it did help a lot. Dave T.

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

One other thing of note when shooting at night is the front bead. Unless the lights are just right that glow-worm red or green fiber optic front bead will disappear when shooting at night while the old standby white bead will still stand out. As for lenses at night for my eyes the medium yellow (52) made by Randolph Engineering works well for me. Their light transmission is slightly less than a clear lens but the yellow highlights the orange targets we throw around here a little better for me.

--- Chip King ---

8. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Surfside6 After spending a lot of money I got hooked up with Wayne Morgan at Morgan Optical and he got me straightened out ,I ended up with a Red,Green deficiency and all the other lenses that I had were vertually useless to me because if a lenses for me doesn't have some Red in it I can't pick the target up quick enough, so to answer you're question about night lenses it is to the individual him or herself what lenses to use day or night everybody is different in what there eyes see and vision. If you need some very professional advise call Wayne Morgan he will help and he also has some special colors he can make for you. 1-800-594-0175 Wayne. Just tell the girl that answers you're calling about shooting glasses for Wayne. Pat.

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What pheasantmaster said. Clear or light yellow. We shoot orange birds at night.

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

+1 for Wayne and Morgan Optical. Having wasted money being jerked around by another prominent eyewear purveyor I can tell you that Wayne knows what it takes and will take the time to help you get the most from your vision.

MK

11. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I also have Red/Green deficiency and have a couple of sets of Vermilion colored lenses. Makes the birds look like they have lights inside them. For day shooting I use the regular shade and Morgan made up a set of Light Vermilion for dusk/night shooting. Like mx2005, nothing but the red tint works for me.

Chris

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I like vermillion glasses for these reasons....

The white "comet tail" is eliminated.

The clay appears flourescent red just like in daytime.

The lights make the grass a very bright, distracting green. Vermillion counters this, and grass looks more like a dark gray.

The background becomes darker.

Drawback - using vermillion right at sunset. This enhances the setting sun on the clouds or red sky even more, and the clay disappears. If I can't wait for black sky, I switch to clear for a while.

As for yellow lenses, I've never been able to use them, day or night. They give me a bad headache.

13. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I would urge all who have never taken a color test to do so before purchasing tinted lenses. Many who have color deficiencys are unaware of the problem. Brian, you sound like you may suffer some color blindness, no offense intended. I myself was unaware of the problem until having a physical exam for a commercial drivers license, for me the only thing that works is Vermillion. The website attached may be of help for those who aren't sure.

Robert

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Robert, I've been checked, but no color blindness. But bright lights can cause problems for me, as I suffer from migraines. Yellow lenses will start to trigger migraines. Gray, bronze, green, purple and vermillion won't.

15. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Brian, sorry to hear about the migraines, I suffered from them until my mid thirty's. My wife is a chronic migraine sufferer, interesting that lens color could be a trigger, something else to consider. Does different lighting conditions have an effect on you as well, such as a bright hazy day vs. a grey day?

Robert

16. Surfside6

Surfside6 TS Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I do not have color blindness and I will try yellow lenses tonight. Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

night trap shooting

shooting trap targets at night

trap shooting green targets at night