1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting at Bloomington, IL Gun Show

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by crusha, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

Can anybody confirm? Just heard it was an AD with a .223 Mini 14...somebody "dropped it," it went off, through a wooden post and 2 people...several injured, one fatality?

2. KW post 5

KW post 5 TS Member

News report was 3 people injuried havent heard of anyone dying

3. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

BLOOMINGTON - Two men have been injured in what officials say was an accidental shooting at a central Illinois gun show.

McLean County Sheriff Mike Emery says an attendee at the ECA Gun and Knife Show was laying a semi-automatic rifle on a vendor table Saturday when the gun went off.

Emery tells the Bloomington Pantagraph that the bullet went through a thick wooden post and two people.

One man has a chest wound, and details of the other man's condition weren't immediately available.

Emery says authorities will investigate why a loaded weapon was at the show.

The show, organized by the Egyptian Collectors Association, was back up and running shortly after the shooting.

Organizers say the shooting marked the first incident in the show's more than 10 years.

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Jim, if I were you, I'd delete that post and post the URL instead. Refer to the last sentence.

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

Unbelieveable...shot through the chest with a .223 and survived! So far, so good...glad to hear that.

Thank heavens for that wood post! (The AH handling the gun needs tarred and feathered, though).

6. shelly

shelly TS Member

Perhaps it would be a good idea to get all the facts before lynching anybody.

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

True, that...I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for having a cartridge in the chamber at a gun show, pointing it at someone, and drilling two people through the chest.

Thanks for keeping me honest, shell...I get ahead of myself sometimes.

8. overbored

overbored Member

Shilly I am gathering evidence you are a short timer on here. Good Luck. Mods are gonna get yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Hugh

9. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

All the gun shows I attend and some time set up at have people checking guns at the door to make sure there safe. If the gun has a magazine there removed. Wire ties in place to make sure the gun is in operable. All table holders follow the same rules or are asked to leave. So how does this happen?

10. shelly

shelly TS Member

Grow up overboard.

Buzz, obviously there was a screwup somewhere, but where? Was it the customer who picked up the gun or was it the vender who might not have checked his weapons as well as he might have? Perhaps somebody slipped a cartridge into the gun on the sly.

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

The first thing I do with any gun is confirm an open bolt or action. The first thing I do when I PICK ONE UP is point it in a safe direction.

shelly: My reaction to your entire 11:38 am post is "who cares?"

Regardless of who loaded this gun, when it was loaded, and under what circumstances, the negligent discharge is proof positive multiple safe gun handling rules were violated.

At a minimum, that would apply to the person holding or touching the gun. Depending on circumstances, those safety failures might apply to a host of other parties.

Bottom line?? The skant details provided above are more than adequate to confirm the presence of more 'stupid' than should EVER exist anywhere at any time.

sissy

12. shelly

shelly TS Member

So sissy, you essentially said the same thing that I did- somebody screwed up. OK, fine, just hang em all and let God sort out the guilty from the innocent.

In every gun show I've ever been too, most of the rifles and shotguns are lying flat on tables pointed at people's crotches. I don't know how to pick up such a gun without it pointing at somebody at least until I can raise it up enough to get the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

It's an undeniable fact that having all those guns lying on tables pointing at people is a risk, no matter how slight. Add humans to that equation and.......... I've always thought that having the guns lying on tables was an accident waiting to happen and have never been comfortable with it. Apparently I'm not the only one since the NSCA passed a rule a few years ago which eliminated carrying guns horizontally on a cart/4-wheeler.

As a USAF trained aircraft accident investigator, I tend to look at accidents from the prevention perspective rather than from the blame perspective. From that perspective the details do matter.

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Trappy: Does the Airforce know you're a Trannie? LOL.

-Gary

14. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Here in MN, all gun's actions at gunshows are required to be kept open with zip ties to prevent them from being loaded or cycled.

Kind of a PITA, but I must admit it does prevent accidents!

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

zip ties everywhere in NE Wis. If these boobs were doing this for ten years they got off lucky.

HM

16. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Three minutes ago I was talking to the guy whose table the gun was at when it discharged and shot the post, bounced thru a mans hand and the splinters of the post wounded another. He told me the gun was empty when he brought it into the show, and empty when handed to the person who laid it down and it went off. He's beside himself trying to figure out how the shell got into the chamber. Both injured have been released as of this morning from the hospital. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.