1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting another's gun (with permission)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I have the oppertunity of shooting a lot of different trap guns. Whenever someone gets a new or different gun and so fourth. Some of these guns I shoot only a couple of times, other I shoot a whole box. My question is:

"How is it that you can pick up someone elses gun and break targets with it even if it doesn't fit".

Between the stock, comb, and pad adjuster (seems as if they all have them on these days) no two guns fit the same. I don't re-adjust these guns, I just shoot them as is. My rule of thumb is that the worse the gun feels to me the harder I hit targets with it. When I'm doing this, I'm shooting from the 25-27 yd line.

ec90t

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Sometimes something different, even if it is not quite right, works for a short time. I have found that if I try another gun, I really want to see if it works for me and I pay close attention to keeping my head down. When I go back to my old gun everything feels right and I do not pay as much attention to the basic as I should.

Pat Ireland

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Pat is correct! A new gun shoots great....until you buy it!

Then you go back to the same old same old!

4. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

I have seen the kids try it......mostly they are checking to see who's gun they could borrow and shoot with if it became necessary at a shoot.....lol. Guess you have to have a back up plan.......lol

Lorna

5. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I agree with Pat. The same thing happens to me. Steve

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Pat, too, up to a point. I found that I could also shoot other guns that I shot very well the first time, but not as well after shooting it for a few boxes. The one gun I found that I really could shoot better than any other was the first time I shot a DB-81. From the very first one I picked up over 10 years ago to the one I now own, I have shot them all very well. I have owned several other guns, several other Perazzi's, and, whenever I picked up a DB-81, no matter how it was set up, I seemed to shoot it better than anything else I had. I was finally able to get a nice DB-81 Combo, and I shoot it better than anything else I have ever owned. I have been shooting it for about 11/2 years and my scores have never been better. It is really not set up any different than my MX-15 combo was, or my TMX, or my MX-3, or my Ljutic mono, or my 90-T was. It just fits my style of shooting, and moves to the target so much smoother and easier than the rest. I really feel that, in some cases, the gun you shoot does make a difference in your scores. Sometimes it really is not the indian, but it is the arrow.... Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I clearly remember the first Perazzi I ever saw. It was imported by Ithica. I was shooting my M 12 and shot the first 50 birds poorly. I asked my friend with the Perazzi if I could shoot the last 50 birds with his gun and he agreed. I ran the last 50 and promptly bought the gun. That was the only 50 straight I ever shot with my first Perazzi.

Pat Ireland

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Well, what prompted me to start this thread is I shot a couple of older Perazzi's last night (MX-3 and MX-6) and was in no way looking down the rib (way off the end of the barrel is a good desciption). I shot each one five times and smoked all five targets I shot from each gun. I would under no circustances think that I could do that for 100 targets, but was very surprised that I hit anything. I know the old saying, "The best way to ruin a good gun is to buy it". It just amazes me how ones mind can overcome something like that.

ec90t

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Borrowing someone elses gun takes the brain part out of the equation. You're more worried about working the gun that you're not thinking about the targets...

My $0.02,

Jay

10. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Normally I won't borrow anything I can't afford to replace. Especially a high dollar shotgun. I did trade Brownings for a round the other day. I wanted to try a shotgun with no beads on the barrel. The other guy was interested in the function of the Griggs recoil re-director on mine. We both shot around our averages but, we were both happy to get our own guns back. For me,shooting and liking a high end shotgun would probably result in a divorce.

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

ec90t.......Your ability is remarkable! Gun fit is critical to consistent hits. Amazing.....How you do that?

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hipshot 3,

I'm in no way shape or form what anyone would consider a great shooter. I shoot a lot from the 25yd line and back. We all like to shot each others guns for a couple of shells just to try them out. More often than not, I able to hit the targets pretty hard. The exceptions to this are guns w/ a release trigger (I flinch so bad it makes people laff!) and guns with an extremely high POI.

ec90t

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Shootlow & jcl,

I guess that I don't look at it that away. The guns that I've gotten to sample has varied from nicely done M-12's to a K-80 Parcours trap special. I am just as generous with any gun that I own. I guess that the game shooting crowd is a little less formal than the registered shooters. Maybe that's why I fit in?!

Out of all the guns that I've sampled, Kolar's work for me the best. I have shot T/S (4), T/C's (too many to count), and a new Max Combo.

ec90t

14. rip

rip TS Member

ec90t,
    I don't think the registered shooters are more formal at all. The bunch I shoot with are always letting someone try our guns. You have even shot 4 of mine that I know about. When are you going to get a Kolar t/s? Thats the one you liked best last time I saw you. Break um all.

RIP

15. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Rippy,

I like the T/S very well and will consider buying one when they become a little more used. Lol!

I did make the mistake of shooting Sal's new Maxx combo and really liked it a bunch. But then again, I've never met a Kolar that I didn't like!

As far as crowds go, you know the bunch that I shoot with. We have entirely way too much fun. I have got a couple of them to start shooting sporting clays with me though.

ec90t

16. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i went straight with a lot of guns until i paid for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.