1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Annies

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I have been invited to shoot a few upcoming shoots that are advertised "all events will be Annies, cut throats, and other similar games". I am told that there is no "trap loads only" rule and just shoot whatever you bring. If these guys can shoot any 12 ga. load they want, What are some of the things they do to get advantage over typical trap loads?

Looking forward to your replies.

John

2. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

If it's wide open any load goes as most shoots in the west are. The assumption is the targets will be cranked up higher and faster and you will be shooting further back than the 27 yardline, sometimes quite aways back. If this is the game you'll be playing then field loads will be the order of the day, with shot sizes ranging from 6's through 4's depending on the target distance. Most shoots 6s and 5's will work. Some shooters can get an 1-1/8oz load to work for them at long distance, but most are shooting 1-1/4oz or even 1-3/8oz.

If you have reloading manuals look under field loads and make a choice based on speed and psi. I perfer 1-1/4 oz at 1350 fps. I use Unique powder to achieve
    this load.

If the shoot is an all day event, you will need several hundred rounds.

I'm cetain many will ring in with their favorite load.

Have fun!

Surfer

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I wonder if these contribute to "gun blow ups"

4. BobHoukOregon

BobHoukOregon Member

They contribute only if they are a dumb ass, in which case they should take up checkers.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I shot many games and never used anything other than AA Handicap or Nitro 27's and seemed to make out pretty well ... We used to shoot from as far back as 45 plus yards and the targets would still break with new trap loads ... ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I shot many games and never used anything other than AA Handicap or Nitro 27's and seemed to make out pretty well ... We used to shoot from as far back as 45 plus yards and the targets would still break with new trap loads ... ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Great way to destroy your trap gun...hope you win enough to pay for repair or replacement! If your that hell bent on shooting that far away...shoot a .22...

8. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Go, have a good time, watch observe and learn. Any book load is not likely to damage your gun but your shoulder may be another matter.

Robert

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I've witnessed three gun failures, two ay ATA shoots and one at a pot shoot where some fool shot Grandpa's old side by side Damascus barreled gun and blew the barrel wide open.

I've been shooting games for over forty years, most of them with Perazzi's TM series guns and never had any problem or premature wear. I don't know where you guy's get your information some times, must be out a box of Cracker Jacks.
    If you don't take care of stuff, it goes to S.......T

WPT you're trap load wouldn't reach the target on the third shoot from where we shoot.......................

Surfer

10. DanLee

DanLee Member

Outside of winter league trap and skeet, I shoot wobble Skrap almost exclusively. It uses a trap/skeet field with a wobble trap, and the shooting positions are behind the skeet pads, actually behind the walkway, meaning about a 30-yard handicap. Speed and shot weight helps in this game, but the pounding of a fixed breech gun quickly causes a lot of flinches. A gas autoloader helps. No. 7-1/2 is probably the best shot size.

Dan

11. Deputydog

Deputydog TS Member

winchester super handicap 7 1/2's is all you need. 50 yds from the hip no problem !

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

WSF

Wayne

13. millerm12

millerm12 Member

i always used a flyer load of some sort.fed flyer was pretty good, 1 1/4 6s 3 1/4 dram load worked really good just about any game they played untill you go way back,then you need some horsepower.alot of fun shooting those games.

14. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Just curious Millerm12, what was the serious horsepower you used when you went "way back"? And, whats "way back"? Fifty,sixty,yards from the house? I have heard that some of the "loads" used set off car alarms. LOL.

15. millerm12

millerm12 Member

lol no not that big.i always used a turkey load for "way back".but some say thats way to much.thats fine but i still shoot what i like.doesnt matter what your pulling the trigger on 1oz or 1 5/8 as long as it works for that shooter have at it.lol ok maybe just one or two car alarms may have gone off.lol

16. jhoward

jhoward Member

Factory Federal P156-4

A tad pricey these days, but you won't find, or make, a better shell for long range shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.