1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting and Practicing Handicap for 24 Yards

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Earl4140, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl4140

Earl4140 TS Member

Trying to prsctice handicap is difficult because the other Geezers want to shoot 16 yards.

How do you 'practice' handicap at the sixteen yard line? The old saw "Shoot Handicap like you shoot singles" doesn't work for me. I must 'hustle' when shooting handicap. When I shoot them like singles my scores are dismal. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks, Earl Hamman

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Shoot by yourself. That's what I do.

3. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

"Trying to practice handicap is difficult because the other Geezers want to shoot 16 yards"

And this is why most shooters stink at handicap. They want to break targets, rather than learn to shoot better, so they stick to 16s. They never get moved off the 20 yard line, and they bitch about the guy on the 27 stomping them at every shoot. Well geez, I wonder why he's beating you?

I've got several yards more in yardage than any of the other shooters at my club, so even if I get the chance to practice, I have too shoot alone. So, shoot by yourself, or find another club to shoot at.

~Michael

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

...besides, shooting by yourself allows you to lock the trap to concentrate on a "problem angle" or "problem station" and drill the way to break it into your nervous system. The only danger is going too fast. Put the brakes on a bit, shoot every shot as you would in a contest, and enjoy the most efficient practice and save some money as well.

Neil

5. Flench

Flench TS Member

Earl I had the same problem that you do. Everyone wanted 16 or the 27. I finally started practicing shooting a 100 from my yardage. In approx. 10 months I was standing on the 27.

As Neil said it has some pitfalls but it also has some advantages practicing by yourself. One advantage is being able to shoot by yourself at a shoot. Some people cannot do that.

Doyal Kirby

6. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

You might see if the geezers would should a slider. This is where you start at 19yds and after each shoot move back 2 yds. At the end of 5 you move over to the next post at same yardage and work your way back to the 19. Some enjoy it and some don't!

7. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Get a Wall Chart

8. dexterkid

dexterkid TS Member

You are choosing to shoot at the 16. Choose to shoot handicap even if it is my yourself.

Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.