1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting and Gall Bladder Surgery

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charkat1, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

I'm going to be undergoing gall bladder surgery in March. I'd like to know what the experiences of other shooters has been with respect to returning to the sport. I'm more than aware of the dangers of doing too much too soon. Still since it's a common procedure, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

Charlene

2. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

My wife had laproscopic surgery and I was surprised how fast she recovered and went back to work. I would start out slowly with gun mounts...and I wouldn't plan on shooting 300 targets the first day back, but give yourself a week or two and you might surprise everyone.

You might want to plan on bringing your own food to trap shoots since she doesn't tolerate greasy food very well.

God Bless,
    TNCoach

3. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

I had laproscopic surgery about 5 years ago. A week after getting out of the hospital the Dr. said ok to the gym and shooting.

No proplems then and since. Yes and go easy on greasy food.

Charlie

4. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Woke up very ill, wife took me to the hospital and all test's were neg. Surgeon came in and said 1 more test involving nuclear meds and that one said gall bladder would not shrink down and excrete ???? All I know is they took it out and I still ran a fever for a few days after. Six days in the hospital in all. A few days after I was home I was back to normal.No restrictions. Only 3 little scars.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Same experience here. Piece of cake.

Went in early Friday a.m. with severe upper abdominal pain. I thought it was just really bad gas, but it didn't go away. Ultrasound showed I didn't have stones, but the nuclear test showed the bladder wasn't working. They didn't have it all figured out until late in the day, so I just spent the night at the hospital and they did it Saturday a.m.

Had tickets to the Big 12 championship game at Arrowhead...missed it...but it was bitter cold and Nebraska lost that day, so it wasn't much of a disappointment.

No restrictions after about 2 or 3 weeks.

6. bt 99

bt 99 TS Member

PLANNED Gall Bladder Surgery---Got up early, drove 150 miles to hospital, took out gall bladder laproscopic round 9.00 am. No problem, just a little sore. Left hospital and was shopping Wall Mart around 2.00 pm, drove 150 miles home. Long day. Did get a little infection in belly button stiches bout a week later. Took a while to get the extra gass out of my belly area. That will bother a person more than anything??? Steve

7. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

I really appreciate all of the feedback. You guys are the best!

Thanks again.

Charlene

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

just have a "coughing pillow" handy for 3-4 days then you should be good to go....

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Had mine taken out in spring 97. The best thing I ever did. Watch the oil and grease. Do not over do things in the heat. I did and almost fell flat on my face, Shooting was not a problem for me just going out and doing hard work in the heat. That lasted about a month or alittle more. Don't try and shoot on all squad. Shoot and wait for the second or third squad till you know how you will feel. I was in at 7:30am In OR at 11:00am In recovery at I think 1:00pm and got kicked out at 4:30pm.

10. Mike

Mike Member

Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy has far less discomfort post-op than Open Cholecystectomy. Always a possibility scope surgery may convert to open but usually not the case. Surgeon will explain this to you this will be on your surgical consent. Post-op recovery longer with open... Mik

11. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

My wife had the laparosopic procedure 3 years ago. Surgery at 0800; back home by noon. She was taking a nap, so I went to the grocery store to get some bland food for her. When I got home, she was up, running the vacuum cleaner! She returned to work 3 days later.

She does not tolerate greasy food very well.

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Greasy food may be a problem for a year or two...after that your body will have adjusted. Then you can go back to eating at the club shoots!

13. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

Thanks again for everyone's input. What sort of symptoms signify greasy food intolerence after procedure? Gas, upset stomach, bowel trouble, a combination of things?

Charlene

14. 27yd or bust

27yd or bust TS Member

Had mine out Tuesday afternoon, came home that day. I think I will feel great after I can take a good crap, not happened yet and it is Friday morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun shoot to gall bladder