1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting an unsingle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by roolan, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roolan

roolan TS Member

I am considering purchasing an unsingle gun. I have never shot one however I remember seeing a thread a while ago discussing the differences between top and unsingle guns. There was a comment suggesting some people cannot shoot an unsingle. Can anyone clarify what the advantages and or the disadvantages of either set up?

2. Kolar233

Kolar233 TS Member

Sent you a PM with the info I have, too long for the thread.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot it before you buy it. That way you will know if it is user friendly. HMB

4. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Love my unsingle Guerini.

5. Desert Hiker

Desert Hiker Member

I have trouble shooting a top single. On an unsingle being able to adjust the rib along with the comb provides an advantage, you can position the POI fairly close to your comfort level and improves accuracy, at least this is what works for me. Ron

6. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

The locking block in an unsingle will last longer as the recoil isnt driving the barrel up and away from the action like it is in a top single.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Some people struggle with an unsingle, especially in low-light conditions such as overcast skies. Their brain sees the large black blob that is the barrel's muzzle better than the small white front bead under those conditions. That also happens with top singles but the aiming error isn't as great as with an unsingle (or high-rib gun) because the bead and muzzle are not very far apart.

I've owned both and currently shoot an unsingle but my best scores were recorded with a top single.

Ed

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Most anyone can shoot a top single if the gun fits and shoots where he's lookin'. Not always so with the unsingle.

And then there's the cross dominance effect which tends to get worse the farther from the barrel the rib gets.

If you plan to get an unsingle be prepared for a learning curve!!

9. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Must be my problem... going from BT 99 to XT unsingle and now I can't hit anything. Looks to be a long process just to get back where I was.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You just need the POI set at what you are used to shooting, pattern your old gun and then pattern the new un-single and adjust pattern to the same POI and you are all set, you will notice a little less recoil ue to the design of the lower Bbl position and thats all.

Anything else is just imagination.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Make sure you get an adjustable rib, comb, stock length, twister, etc.
    that way you can keep fiddling with it, and never learn to shoot it.

12. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

I just pickup my new trap gun Friday that my wife got me for Christmas.

Guerini Summit unsingle left-hand with the Kinetic Balancer......... I am hopping to get out this weekend to try it out.

rickinohio_2009_2704127.jpg

13. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Can we trade wives?

14. oletymer

oletymer Member

Rick, I looked at those but decided on a left handed KX6. Let's see how they both worked out. I am going to shoot it as it came out of the case after cleaning off the preservative then start adjusting.

15. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I agree with AveragEd and Oleolliedawg. I have the occasional crossfiring problem and with both eyes open in bad light I can see right through the very transparent rib as though it was not there and shoot off the end of the barrel instead. My conventional rib top single MX-3 is more intuitive to shoot than the high rib gun. I know the rib and bead are more visible when I wear the tape patch on my left lens but I have shot with both eyes open for 55 years and so far my scores are still better as a two eyed shooter.

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The good Doctor assumes all patients are the same. That error often produces a serious mis-diagnosis!!

17. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I have found the following with the Unsingle:

1) It is very important to make sure that you do not cant the gun in any way, as the canting changes the pattern location

2) Usually the Unsingle guns and stocks are designed for an erect head and neck posture. This is very good for those of us who have prescription glasses. You can look through the middle of your lens and not get distortion.

3) If however, you are the type of shooter who REALLY is INTO the stock, really DOWN on the comb, head scrunched down and neck forward, well then, the transition to an UnSingle high rib gun will take you a bit of time to get used to as that style is not easily transferred to the high rib.

4) As mentioned earlier, if you have eye dominance issues, the high rib may bring that to the forefront.

OLETYMER: I too have a KX6 and this SBT has a mid-high rib which is kind of an in-between height. None the less, I find that my KX6 likes a high head hold so you bring the gun up to your cheek, not your cheek down to the comb. You will be very surprised at how well the 2+ choke works at 16 yards. For the 27 I use the 4 choke and for general practice, I use the 4 to train myself on the hot center of the smaller pattern. A marvelous gun...

RICK: Nice CG! Keep us informed on how she shoots for ya

18. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Sorry yakimaman ! I am going to keep my wife.
    37 years she has put up with me.

If the weather holds out I may go try it then......... had a honey do list to do today. Put up Christmas lights outside for her and are grand kids when they come over.

19. Dukefan

Dukefan K-80 Trap Special TS Supporters

I have a CG Maxum combo. I am new to trap shooting so my experience is limited, but right now I shoot the o/u barrel better than the unsingle. I am hoping with more range time I will improve with the unsingle.
    Rick, you are a lucky man. I had to buy my own CG. Dominick

20. Salt

Salt Member

I switched from a BT99 to a XT Unsingle Combo. I set the poi and after that my scores improved immediatly. Maybe I just needed a higher shooting gun or, maybe I just got lucky. Love it.

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting an unsingle