1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting after trigger finger has surgery.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by len loma, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. len loma

len loma TS Member

I cut a tendon in right fore finger which is my trigger finger. It's healing well but still can barely bend it to pull a trigger. Using middle finger to shoot sporting clays and am amazed how well I have adjusted for that. Not sure if trap shooting will be as good since I shoot faster. Anybody else had this problem? How long was recovery time for you?
    thank you,
    Len

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I understand Jon Krueger has no problems shooting and he lost several fingers on his shooting hand, including his trigger finger... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Years ago I had a buddy who had his arm cut with broken plate glass. He had a tendon severed and could not (still cannot) bend his trigger finger...He used his middle finger like you are doing, and he became a really better trap shooter, as well as all around shooter. He claimed by his trigger finger laying beside hs receiver it was acting like a "Pointer" and seemed natural just to be able to "point" at the target and shoot. He shot everything, and was very good at it.

Dave in SC

4. Rem 1100

Rem 1100 Member

A couple of years back I crushed my trigger finger at work, had to use my middle finger for quite a while. It actually worked quite well until some one at the club handed me there auto loader to try (less recoil) but as I pulled the trigger for the first time I inadvertently positioned my injured finger up high enough to where the handle on the bolt came back and %$#*&!! did that hurt! Had to recover all over again!

It took about 8 mos to get my trigger finger back, still doesn't bend at the tip like it did but works fine now.

WARNING!!
    If you shoot an auto loader please be care full.

Chuck H

5. len loma

len loma TS Member

After my accident I went to surgery to repair damage. They drilled a hole in bone thru my first finger joint to insert a pin. It was to imobilize it so tendon would re-attach itself. My luck got worse when they could not remove pin in doctors office. Back to the hospital for surgery to remove. It feels better but is still swollen and stiff. It's to the point my pecker is jealous.

Rem 1100 thanks for your advice. I'll be careful about that.

Len

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My experience is that fingers repair more slowly than one would imagine.

7. morgan1

morgan1 Member

I have had the same surgery and never recovered the use of trigger finger well enough to shoot with it, and now use the middle finger with no problems, it just became second nature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.