1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting after Surgery

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bkt514, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

As a result of a "black ice" fall (total wipeout)late this past spring, which resulted in having a herniated disc in my neck between C5-C6. I have been working thru physical therapy and have some relief from extreme left shoulder pain and burning sensation. Have any of the readers returned to shooting after having fusion done via neurosurgery??

2. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

I had a spinal fusion from L4 to S1 in January '09. Some complications so I spent most of 3 months in bed. But now I shoot close to 200 targets a week practice and then competitions. Soreness does set in towards the end of competitions. Obviously mine is lower back so the differences may be great. The best advice i can give someone in your shoes after surgery is......Take it easy. If it don't feel right, don't do it. It will take time.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Just takes time. I have a virtual hardware store in my back but was able to go back to shooting after about 6-8 months. LISTEN TO THE DOCS. I'm having my 4th back surgery this Oct. but not because of shooting.
    [​IMG]

4. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I am looking at neuro-surgery late fall to remove herniated disc, and have c5-c6 fused! Hoping that after surgery and recovery, I can go back to shotgun shooting and get back to few club and ATA's each year!

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You should be able to do just about anything you want after the surgery and proper recovery time. Just don't rush it. Wait until the Doc says its time and then let your body tell you what's too much.

6. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

The person you need to ask is your neurosurgeon and ask him after the operation when he knows exactly your condition.

I also have had back surgery to removed disk herniation in my lumbar. I have not had fusion although it was a potential going into the surgery. Until they lay eyes on it, plans are just plans.

I currently have bulged disk and bone spurs in my cervical area. I get pain in my left shoulder and tingling/burning in my left arm. But I have no loss of muscle strength or control so surgery is not imminent. Recoil from shooting aggravates it, as you can imagine.

Every person's specific condition is somewhat unique and the outcome of anybody's surgery and recovery are somewhat unique.

The ONLY person you should listen to on this subject is your surgeon and the physical medicine doc who will manage your PT.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I would advise you to listen to your surgeon and or Doctor, they know whats best for you in the long run ... I broke my neck in 1989 and they did extensive repairs and fusions especially to the C 4,5,6 area of my spine, besides other spinal damage they found ... The fusions took years to start to mend and according to the Doctor back then they may never completely heal ... I have a lot of problems with my back, neck, and tingling down both arms from time to time all from that same accident, yet today ... Take it slow and let yourself get well before you try anything that could cause you problems ... You will know if you try something if you are supposed to be doing it or not for a long time ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotgun shooting after spinal fusion