Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shooting after Rotator Cuff Surgery

12K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Bruce Specht 
#1 ·
I had rotator cuff surgery a couple of weeks ago. I had a moderate tear in the rotator cuff repaired, labrum repair, & two bone spurs removed. All on my shooting shoulder.

I understand the healing procedure, the passive rehab & the active rehab & the approx. time that each will require.

My question for those with experience is what keeps you from shooting right after you complete the last rehab? Is the the pain, weakness in the shoulder, worry about injuring the joint again. Surgery was Feb. 18. When do you think I will be able to return to active shooting?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

#2 ·
My first of (3) shoulder surgeries was very similar to what you described. I had a completely detached Labrum and partial tear of the Rotator Cuff. It required a full length incesion. It honestly took (4) Months before i was doing much of anything envolving strength and repetitive actions like Trap shooting. Now be it this was in 1996 and much has changed. In my case it was more lack of actual strength combined with some soreness and fear of reinjury. I don't have to tell you how painful shoulder surgery is obviously. I would doubt you'll be ready much sooner than what i've stated. Now my last(2) shoulder surgeries were done with (3) minor incesions and recovery was much faster but the actual surgery was not near as involved either. Your age and ability to heal will determine alot. LISTEN to the Doc and your Physical Therapists. They know their stuff. Good Luck friend. I feel for you.

P.S. I have daily shoulder pain that they tell me will never leave. It hasn't yet and has gotten worse. Due to have another bone spur out this fall. Will not allow him to screw up this shooting season. :)

Matt

#3 ·
I just had rotator cuff surgery in November, but in my off arm. I am still having trouble with range of motion. My therapist and doctor have told me that full recovery can be up to a year - I am fairly fit and 60 yo. Soft tissue injuries and healing can take a long time.
I had my shooting shoulder replaced two years ago and got back to trap after 3 months IIRC. It was painful and I had to use extra cushioning. I also shot less at each outing. The soft tissue repair when they did the replacement was less than the rotator cuff.
Jack

#4 ·
Jack pointed out a very important key here. It will also depend on if its your gun shoulder or off shoulder. I was lucky, i'm a righty and my injury was my left. You won't want recoil on the operated shoulder for quite sometime.

Matt

#5 ·
What the above posters said. I'm 8 months post-surgery. 90% of range is back, still have pain on overhead -> back motion. I'm about ready to try swinging the clubs in a few more days. 64, diabetic, slower to heal than most. Good luck with your RIGOROUS rehab that I urge you to take seriously.

#8 ·
My surgery was 12/1/10. Had two muscles completely torn one partial. The doc repaired the partial and reattached one of the torn about 1/4 inch short of the correct location. The guys at PT said it was as bad a shoulder as the get in there. I shot fifty skeet two weeks ago and 100 handicap Sunday. I got tired after each one but I shot them by my self so little rest between shots. I felt no pain. So I will start my shooting season now with what ever match comes up would like to find something this weekend but going out of town to visit family. Good luck work hard on moving your shoulder. Tom

#9 ·
I can't speak of the shooting shoulder, but I had labrum capsule tear done on my left. I am 39 years old and I had little to no pain, maybe the first week. Dr. Simonian in Central Ca is probably one of the best in the country when it comes to the shoulder. Had my surgery 12/28/10 and shot 100 rounds in the first part of Feb. Other than a little sore form propping up the gun I was fine. As of right now I have full range of motion, but it's a little tight in spots.

To answer your question, if this was my shooting shoulder I would in no way shoot for at least the first 2 months. Your repair is right there in the front of your shoulder. If you had a labrum tear repaired you don't want to take any chances of pulling the sutures that is holding your capsule in place.

Bryan

#10 ·
Afetr 5 surgeries to the same shoulder including two replacements, do not rush it. My surgeries were all to my left shoulder I'm right handed. Take your time to do the rehab and let your body tell you when your strong enough and tolerant enough ,a long with your doc and therapist. My last surgery, revision of the replacement took the longest to rehab from and to feel like shooting again. About 9 months if memory serves, scar tissue is the biggest problem to over come. Therapy, therapy,therapy! Holding the front end of a shotgun up is heavy and painfull for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.