1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting after LASIK

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tripod, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I used to pride myself with my ability to shoot handguns. As I got older I needed glasses which I seemed to be able to still shoot open sights fairly well. I had LASIK surgery in 2001 and can't focus on the sights while the target is still clear as a bell. Anyone else have this problem and a cure? I know a scope will allow me to shoot good groups, but hunting with them sucks. Thanks

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It sounds like your eyes have been corrected for distance vision. It is also possible that your left eye(non shooting eye if right handed) is corrected for close vision(reading) and your right eye is corrected for distance. Try looking at the pistol sights with your left eye and see if they are in focus. Inorder to focus on the pistol sights which are near you can try looking through a small aperture which you can attach to your shooting glasses. Or you can get a corrective lens for shooting pistol. HMB

3. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Well Fred, all that info was really helpful.

4. Ibex

Ibex TS Member

sarge / Fred,

beat me to it. my doctor did tell me & I was listening, so that within months of having the Lasik when I had to start wearing Walmart cheaters to see my fingers I wasn't shocked, the world is still clear as a bell when you get about 4 feet away into eternity though!! I chose not to go with one eye adjusted close and one eye adjusted far away.

mike

5. Nutnbutsmoke

Nutnbutsmoke Member

I recently had Lasik done and I chose the mono vision, 1 eye close, dominant eye for distance and I'm having a hard time etting the clay target to clear up. They tell me I have to be patient and let things heal for 8 to 12 weeks to see if it improves or they may have to do the surgery again, I was hoping to avoid the reading glasses but if it affects my shooting I will have them do both eyes for distance and by a set of cheaters.

6. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I had the RK done back in '98....I can see to shoot ok, but at night when my eyes dilate the scars refract the light and make it really tough to see the targets clearly...they have light streaks, and they are not sharp at all.

tony

7. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Wow, I am truely sorry that you are having problems seeing to shoot. I was considering having the surgery done, but I am re-thinking after your experience. Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention.

8. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I hear you, Frank. I've been considering LASIK for a couple of years, but everybody that I know that has had the procedure wears "cheaters". Might as well keep my glasses and contacts.

9. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Sarge was exactly right in saying most eye doctors (non-shooters) do not know how to set up shooting glasses.

IMHO, the only way to go if you need prescription glasses, is to go to a shooting eye doctor, like Doc. Frank Rively. Frank is a pro at setting you up as a shooter, with the proper prescription.

puablo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

difficulty shooting trap after lasik

lasik for shooting handgun

lasik monovision for shooters

lasik trap shooting