1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting after heart surgery

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cueguy, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cueguy

cueguy Member

I have been on dialysis since Feb. and was undergoing routine cardiac testing on June 21st for a kidney transplant and it was discovered that I had suffered a heart attack. After further testing, I was taken by ambulance to Lexington. The next day I had quadruple bypass, valve repair, and a couple other procedures while he was in there. Anyone out there had something like this? How long before you can shoot? Nubs Wagner

2. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

10 weeks minumum! I know some whom tried it earlier and are now getting their sturnums recut and will wait much longer with problems because they got eagar. I waited 9 weeks, Surgery on a quad 2.5 years ago and just last week, at our MN. State shoot, split part of my chest open due to pnumonia and coughing fits. Take your time!!! You have many more years to shoot thanks to modern medicine, don't mess it up! Congrats on a new life! Isn't it great!

Mark Stevens
    Buffalo Mn.

3. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

For God's sake man, ask your doctor - don't ask us. We might tell you to go shoot 4 rounds tomorrow. He might tell you to wait 2 months. Mike

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

I had a 5 way on 17 November and shot 50 birds of bunker on 27 December. I was lucky. did not have a heart attack nor any valve problems.

TB

5. Erik W

Erik W Member

A friend started shooting a 410 skeet gun a couple weeks earlier, but really does not look like he is having fun.

6. thunder

thunder Active Member

Nubs I would ask my doctor and then remember many of them are not shotgun shooters and make sure they understand the recoil issue. Glad to hear you are doing well.

Andy

7. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

Mr. Wagner: Listen to someone who has been through it, I've had a triple Bypass in 2009. First thing you want to do is talk to your doctor about shooting and "NO ONE ElSE" PERIOD. People are so different in this situation, only you and your Doctor can decide when you start shooting. Some people start shooting in 10 wks some more and some less. I started back shooting after 14 weeks and shot a 28 gauge for awhile and had a ball with it. I'm glad you are doing well and hope everything goes your way. Rick

8. Donm

Donm Active Member

Absolutly ask your doc. I had a quad in 96. They told me that the sturnum is SUPPOSED to be solid in 6 to 8 weeks. Don't push it there will be plenty of time later on now that they fixed you up.. Good luck. Besides if you start to soon that voids the warrany.

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Two years ago (7/10/2009) I had seven (yup, 7) bypasses installed...didn't know they did that many. Followed doctor's okay and shot for the first time a little over 12 weeks later (late October) after having a RAD system installed on one of my XTs. Used LIGHT 1 oz. reloads and ran the first 25 from 16 yards. No pain...except for waiting over 3 months to shoot. You MUST follow your doctor's advice. Hang in there...and enjoy the new lease on life. Best Regards, Ed

10. motowheelguy

motowheelguy TS Member

I had OHS May 5th, My doc said wait until Sep....shooting season missed but just in time for hunting! Better safe than sorry.

Aaron Holguin

11. dezcon

dezcon Member

I was 56 years old when I had quad heart surgery. My doctor said to wait ten weeks before I tried to shoot. I shot at 8 weeks with one ounce loads and used a Pat McCarthy StockLock stock on a K-80. In as much as it helped me mentally to get back dong the things I liked to do and wanted to do, I should have waited. Do NOT rush it. I have a "strawberry scar" at my sternum from the recoil splitting my incision open just a little bit. I did not develop any major problems, but I was just stubborn and had to get out. That was six years ago and I shoot without any problems. Get your doctor's approval and do shoot a lighter loads at first. Raising your gun to your shoulder during that down time wold be good physical therapy. Good luck.

12. Smoke 1

Smoke 1 Banned User Banned

Nubs, is it really that important that you go back to shooting? Isn't your health your top priority? You sound like an intelligent man. There is life after trapshooting. Smell the roses.

13. Bueno

Bueno Member

Major heart surgery is very stressful to the body because of its highly invasive process. After surgery a good deal of Japanese style of acupuncture, over a few weeks, will balance the body's shattered bones and muscles.
    I would suggest not shooting for a least 8 weeks after, and then you shoot a 28 gauge or .410, or even better get a G-Square shockmaster, from Michael Gregory. and shoot 1 ounce loads when you can.
    Don't make the mistake to give up the sport you love, otherwise life ain't worth living. lol.

14. cueguy

cueguy Member

Thanks for the responses. I do not plan on shooting until next year. There is not a lot of ATA left anyway. Although my surgeon was wonderful, he knew nothing about shooting guns. He said he would not suggest shooting for quite some time. Sounded like next year to me. I will have a boat load of shells reloaded by that time. Although I did not get a zipper, is there any survivor clubs out there?
    Nubs Wagner

15. Donm

Donm Active Member

Nubs. The main reason for not shooting is the sternum has to heal. If they went threw your ribs waiting time would be less. But again listen to what your doc say. Bones SHOULD be completely healed in 8 weeks.

16. Smoke 1

Smoke 1 Banned User Banned

Be smart. take up a more passive sport and live longer. Your health is your top priority along with living to enjoy your family and friends. You have had a major set back to your body. Think smart.

17. shadow

shadow Active Member

Break the pool cue out Nubs. Next spring will be here before you know it...!

18. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Congrats Nubs on catching this in time. Had a 5 way in '03 and couldn't feel better. What you have coming is a period of recovery like you have never felt before. If they did your CABG correctly you are seriously going to feel like a new man in a few weeks. Don't give yourself a setback by pushing yourself too hard. Good luck!! Bill Wheeler

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Nubs,

If you listen to the Doctor you have a much better chance of it being successful to the point where you won't have problems later on ... Was the kidney failure because of the heart problem or did the heart problem develope because of the Kidney problem ..? I was told by my Cardiologist that more people die from heart problems once they go into renal failure (kidney failure) than from the renal failure itself ... They removed my Gall Bladder a year ago and I had renal failure from a bacterial and viral infection which was causing my body to shut down ... My cardiologist diagnosed me when they called him and they treated me according to what he said, 8 days later I walked out of the hospital ... When I did a follow up with my Heart Doctor he was surprised that my heart didn't give in during the ordeal ... Check out www.webMD.com and you can get a multitude of answers and things to watch out for in your recovery ... Glad your doing better, Good Luck ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

firing a shotgun after cabg

gun recoil device for heart surgery patient
heart patients and clay pigeon shooting

heart surgery how long before shooting a gun

how long to wait to shoot trap after open heart surgery
skeet shooting with stents
trap shooting after aortic valve surgery

trap shooting after open heart surgery