1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting After Cateract Surgery?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ed Y, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

How long after surgery have you had to wait before shooting again?? I had one eye done a long time ago and forgot how long I had to wait. Now it's time for the other one.

Ed Yanchok

2. Cooter

Cooter Member

One of my friends had one done and they told him to lay off shooting for a month,check with your doc though.

3. Ed Y

Is that a 30 day month or a 31 day month. Maybe I'll wait till February and only wait 28 days.

Ed Yanchok

4. Cooter

Cooter Member

How ever long it is ,it will probobly be two weeks too long.

5. Ed Y

Probably four weeks too long

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Had one eye done & the Dr. said a month at that time. It was a looong month!

Big Jack

7. Ed Y

At lest it will be the winter months.

8. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

I had both done about 5 years apart.The doc was an informal shooter.I had the last done on a Monday & was shooting on Sat.

9. WWB

WWB Member

Geeez I had my cateract removed and a new lens installed--one that removed the need for me to wear glasses anymore--[still need reading specs] but I had the operation-came in the next am to have it checked, came in one week later for the same reason--checked for infection/ whether lens was adhering etc and went shooting the following Tues.?? Maybe I had a different type done or something
    Bill

10. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Ed:

Wish you the best with your surgery. I am going tomorrow morning for my pre-surgery exam to have a large cataract removed hopefully in the next two weeks.

DoubleAuto

11. mike-israel

mike-israel TS Member

Ed and Doubleauto---have an appoinment Friday for a pre=op exam. Thought of posting the same question. Answered ======thanks all--MIKE

12. Klay_Buster

Klay_Buster TS Member

I'm having cateract surgery December 10th.
    My question to trapshooters that have had cateract surgery is this:
    I wear corrected glasses for distance, which I believe is astigmatism.
    My close up reading is ok without glasses.
    I'm only having my master eye (right) done.
    Kaiser offers 1. Monofunctional. A standard cateract lens.
    2. Toric which corrects astigmatism.
    3. Multifunctional which correct near and far correction.

Based on your experiance. What is the best option?
    comments as to why. Thanks, Dave Mishler

13. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I had both eyes done last year about 4 months apart done by two diffferent doctors. Neither one indicated more than a couple days before shooting.

If you are a shooter don't get the new multifocal lens. You want the best distance vision and that will only be achieved with the single vision lens. Have the doc use single vision lens for distance only in both eyes. Get a half dozen pair of reading glasses from Walmart and keep them at covenient places for you close work.

Don't be fooled by the advertisements that say you won't need glasses after surgery. That may be true for some but the doc will be satisfied if you have 20/30 vision or so. You won't need glasses legally to drive but in many cases glasses will improve you to 20/20 or better. In my case, I have 20/25 in both eyes with the new lens implant. However with very slight correction I have 20/15. Most people won't tell the difference between 20/25 and 20/15 but a shooter will.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I had both eyes done after being nearsighted all my life. One was like looking through a sheet of waxed paper, it was so bad. Up until that time I could read or do fine bench work without any glasses.

I had both my eyes done for 20-20 distance vision. Shooting requires both eyes for depth perception, which is integral to judging the distance and speed of the target. I had consulted with the doc and other shooters about this beforehand.

The end result: my distance vision is great, but I need cheapie 2 dollar reading glasses (plus 2, to be exact) for the morning paper. My arms are almost long enough to get by during the day the few times I need to read a label or something. I have about 4 pairs of thes laying about the house, and one in the car.

I would do it the same way all over again without hesitation. All the mono, toric, etcetara stuff is a good way to get results that work a little bit for everything, and well for nothing at all.

Also I didn't think my brain would adjust to the near/far combo even though the said it was just peachy that way.

And I can see the targets. I shoot 2 days and 2 evening leagues weekly. Plain lenses are a lot cheaper too.

This is just my experience, and your needs/desires may be otherwise. I wish you the best of luck.

HM

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

ke4yd, your post popped up as I was typing. We seem to be on the same page.

I would definitely get both eyes done even with a heavy cataract only in one.

HM

16. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Just got back from seeing the doctor about my cataracts. Went in thinking I was only going to get right eye done (worst cataract due to its size and position in the eye). Doctor told me the other cataract had grown noticeably since my last apppointment 3 1/2 months ago. He said I had two rapidly growing cataracts. I have decided to get both eyes done about 2 1/2 weeks apart. First surgery December 2nd. Second December 18th. Going with the single vision lens in each eye. Astigmatism will require glasses. Doctor also said glasses would be required for further refining distance vision correction.

Ready to get it done.

DoubleAuto

17. willing

willing Member

I had both eyes done just about a year ago. I had special lenses put in. The doc told me to wait 1 week, but I waited 2 just to be sure. They turned out great, do need glasses to read. Tv shooting and driving just fine.

Bill

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I think a corneal lns replacement is in my future too

19. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Having to wait 2 - 4 weeks after cataracts seems like a breeze compared to the 6 months I have been told to wait after open heart surgery (July 10th). My internist says I could start shooting now after 3 months, but the cardiologist says forget it...wait 6 months. I may split the difference and try a light load about 12/1. Scary. Best Regards, Ed

20. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Astigmatism requires TORIC lens implants if you have any hope of seeing well without glasses after surgery.

Implanting standard lenses will not correct for the irregular curvature of the cornea (astigmatism). Lasik or glasses will still be required.

Aspherical lenses are suggested for best vision at distance although I do not know how they relate to Toric.

Google Toric lens and you will find tons of usefull info. I have done this recently as I am also a soon to be candidate for this surgery.
    Good luck, Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how long to wait before shooting a muzzle loader after cateract surgery