1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting after back surgery

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Its been 1 week after back surgery. Can't even think about picking up a shotgun, Pain is moderate, but an small bad move will put my hamstrings on fire. The plus is at I don't have to use the heat in Florida for shooting this summer. I've had a laminectomy & disectomy. Wondering any shooters who had the same procedures how long was it before you could shoot again?

Phil Berkowitz

2. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I guess it depends on a few factors, age being the biggest. I had a laminectomy and a disectomy @ L5/S1 in July of 2000. I was 28 at the time. I was back shootin by mid September.I started back slow and just listened to what my back was telling me. Some days I could shoot 300 taregts, others after a round I was done. In Nov of last year I had a iniqual(sp) hernia repair done. Recover took forever.I bet it took 12 weeks before I felt like even thinking about shooting.I guess thats what age does for you in the recovery process.My advice is to take it slow, do the therapy, and don't push it. Best to you in your recovery. It WILL get better. Brad

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Had mine 15 years ago and never sees-es to bother me. Every situation is different and I hope you the best of luck with your recovery.

G2

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Phil,

What kind of procedures, open or minimally invasive? I am considering spinal surgery myself and have seen several neurosurgeons in New Jersey and New York. I will probably have to make up my mind around the middle to August.

Tony C

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I had minimally invasive. mY surgeon is cross trained in both neuro & ortho.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

skeet shooting after back surgery