1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting After a Mild Stroke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Yuman, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuman

Yuman TS Member

I have had several mild strokes and one pretty good one. I have recovered well except in my memory area. It has helped me shoot even better since I can't remember all of my bad habits. My squad mates will probably dissagree but I am tired of kicking their butts. Seriously, if you retain the motor skills to safely operate your shotgun, then you should have no trouble with your current equipment or shells. Hope you can recover well and enjoy the sport as I do. Dick Whitman.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I know of one guy that suffered a mild stroke and continues with his trap shooting hobby. I can't imagine that it is easy but he shoots as well these days as he did prior to the stroke.

Sounds like you have a very positve attitude about this and that alone will get you over the obstacles. I have to give you a big thumbs up for your spirit!

Wishing you a speedy recovery:)

3. trap7

trap7 Member

I also had a stroke on xmas eve lost part of my vision in my right eye and some balance skills still shooting not very good but stay postive and good luck.Jerry

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

DoubleAuto, I too had a mild stroke 3 years ago. My left carotid artery was 80-90% blocked and my right arm went limp for about 5 minutes. I have not quit shooting or deer hunting. My trap scores are a little lower than before, especially Doubles. I also have lost some memory and a lot of my vocabulary, but not the four letter words. The big thing was I quit smoking (tobacco not clay targets). Keep at it, you can do it too. Larry Evans

5. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Doubleauto, you can do it. Take my advice for what it is worth and get some Chelation to open up the blocked veins. If you email me I can tel you more about it. I had a heart attack because of blocked arteries and after taking Chelation I have fully recovered.
    Don

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

DoubleAuto- Do the best you can as often as you can with what you have. That is about all any of us can do.

Pat Ireland

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

We have a gentleman in Alaska who had a severe stroke a few years back. Not only is he back shooting, he ran a hundred not too long ago.

You can do it.

8. DocJim

DocJim Member

Double Auto, Professionally speaking there is no reason not to continue shooting. Continued physical therapy to improve the strength in the right arm would be a good idea. Daily gun lifts or using Terry Jordan's wall chart would be muscle specific as well. You have had a good evaluation from what you reported. I assume that your physican has you on aspirin, if not you should be if there is no contra indication to aspirin. Skip the chelation; I know that "rennerize" means well but there are NO independent double blinded studies that show it is helpful and it may be harmful in other ways. Since peripheral artery disease (PAD) and coronary artery disease (CAD) often coexist with stroke and TIAs you should be evaluated for these as well. Good luck and keep shootin'.

AJ, MD

9. mrjim22

mrjim22 Member

DoubleAuto
    I hope that you are in some type of rehab. Continue it!! Do the exercises as discussed in AJ's note. At the same time continue the meds your doctor has prescribed. I concure with AJ MD, skip the chelation $hit. I lost a patient last year to that BS. Work to lower your Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL), exercise regularly and build up your strength, control that which you can... Blood Pressure, blood Glucose (sugar) and if you do; STOP SMOKING!!!!! Take your asprin like your life depended on it. (IT DOES)
    You will find yourself back on the line probable feeling alot better and shooting stonger.

jim (It has been pointed out to me that I have more letters behind my name than are in it)

10. Liz Farr

Liz Farr TS Member

Double Auto,

My name is Darrell, in 2002 I had three back to back strokes that left me with limited use of my right side and difficulty speaking. Most people were happy about the latter. This incident pretty much ruined my shooting for awhile. I started physical therapy and after a surgery to repair a hole in my heart began to start on the road back not only to shoot but to live life. With the help of my wife and some very dear friends and family I began to shoot again. In 2004 I began to compete again in skeet and sporting clays and have never looked back, just remember that no matter how frustrated you get about your situation, never give up. Good luck and best wishes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.