1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Advice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

After breaking the first 60-80 birds, and my gun does not come up just right for my next shot, should I tell myself that I can break the target anyway or should I take the gun down and mount it again. I just can't seem to remember which choice is best.

I did shoot three 99's at the VA State shoot and these scores have given me a clue to the correct answer.

Another related question is how many times do we have to make a dumb mistake before we learn not to make the same mistake again? I need some help.

Pat Ireland

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

3. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

That is just like asking how many licks to the center of a tootsie pop. The world may never know. John

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

"After breaking the first 60-80 birds, and my gun does not come up just right for my next shot, should I tell myself that I can break the target anyway or should I take the gun down and mount it again. I just can't seem to remember which choice is best."

My recommendation is to practice this one shot gun mount repeatedly on a practice trap prior to any further registered shooting so when your "a_typical_male_ego" tells thyself that the next target can be broken with this inproper gun mount, that you have an outstanding chance of completing the shot with favorable results.LOL

As for the other question, sorry Pat but in isolated circumstances involving certain "learned behavoir" there are virtually no known statistics to give the proper time related aswer due inlarge of funds being withdrawn for time_lasp!!!!!!!!!!LMAO

sidenote, Pat, I hope someone can divulge the answer for not only us but the many I feel that are unwilling to admit guilt in relaion to this topic..

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"how many times do we have to make a dumb mistake before we learn not to make the same mistake again?" Well, apparently more than 3. :)

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mrks- I wounder about Alzheimer's and me now and then, but I just can't remember the symptoms of this disease. Can you help me?

Pat Ireland

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Pat, Congratulations on your fine shooting, although I don't believe that was what you are looking to hear. I find that I get burned more often by not recognizing the difference between agressive and too quick and it has been costly. The mind is a terrible thing, I don't know which is worse, being empty or pre-occupied. "Distractions" never seem to bother me as they seem to put the mind back to the task at hand. Now wasn't that a lot of help Pat! Enjoy your continuing good health and excellant shooting. Bob

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

But Bob, you misunderstand. Missing early and shooting a 99 is very good. However, missing late in the event simply because you are dumb and shooting a 99 is very poor. Not all 99's are created equal.

Pat Ireland

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Pat, I don't think you should be concerned with the malady mentioned by (24str8) above, however there's another one called "Old Timers" that sets in with less than ideal results for some of us. Everything is runnin along so smooth, then we forget to remember what we're doing? :) The symptoms are called (brain far*&%s) when they pop up during the latter part of those 99s, when it happens early, it's called an awakening, so to speak, and you pay more attention from that point. Also, I wish the squad leader would quit saying, "heads-up,lets see one", maybe we wouldn't take that so literal? :) HapAZ

10. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Pat, Dumb mistakes are easy to repeat especially as I get older. There are a lot of parallels between trap and golf so let me put this in golf terms. "The two most basic moves to hit the ball well are: keep your head down and left are straight". Been working on that for over 50 years and someday hope to accomplish it. (kinda like eye on rock, head on stock, eh?)

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Mike, That's where the similarities between the two games end. When you bogie a station, you are not able to birdie the next to make up for lost ground. In trap there is perfection or worse, there are no 105's or whatever. Keeping your head down is a common fault between the two venues. We will never be a Tiger Woods, but we can aspire to compete with Pat. Shoot well, Bob

12. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Advice

Pat - I recommend that anytime you put your gun up and it does not feel "right" take it down and start your routine over.

As to how many times a mistake has to be made before we quit doing it seems to depend on the mistake. If you relieve yourself on an electric fence I would say once would be enough.

hubcap

13. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

What was the question? Jake

14. gotbass

gotbass Member

If it don't feel right and you shot anyway the chance for peeking is increased substaintaly. I am pretty sure I have proved this more than once.

15. romie

romie Active Member

The answer is blowing in the wind.
    I shot a practice round before the shoot Saturday and missed one and I figured out why.This is my third shoot and for the first time I'm not nervous and I figured I am going to kick some butt.....I miss the first target thrown ended up with an 88.went to the handicap and only missed one in 25 in my practice I'm a 20 yard shooter only I didn't pay attention that the guy ahead of me was a 22 yard shooter......yes I did...and I have a real problem with hard lefts from the 22....will I do it again I don't plan on it.
    Stupid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.