1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting a release trigger.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grunt, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

How difficult to learn using a release trigger.?

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It's easy for some near impossible for a few. Most can learn in about 500 targets.
    Joe

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Grunt, once you know you have to go to a release, it does not take much time at all.

Hauxfan!

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I agree 100% with Joe. I had no problem getting used to a release, however, I have seen a few folks who just don't have what it takes to shoot one. Some will set the trigger and then can't let go. Others can't bring themselves to set it. Hope you are in the majority who can do it. You may still find yourself flinching once or twice a year. I have been shooting release and double release since 1974. Contrary to what some people will tell you, it should not affect your hunting. Larry Evans

5. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I shoot a pull trigger but can shoot a release just as well. I think the reason I can do that is because I shoot a bow with a cow hide tab which is release.

6. 1ozreloader

1ozreloader TS Member

How long to get used to a release? Go out to the line with an open mind, forgetting all the dire warnings. Relax, mount the gun, call for the target let it go. I was fortunate. Took me 1 round for singles. On doubles missed missed first 2 pair on post 5 then ran the next 3 pair, went to post 1 ran the post.
    As Hauxfan says, if you know you need to do it, and you try not to pressure yourself, not hard at all.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It took me a round of trap. The key it to concentrate on one thing at a time and repeat the routine the same way every time. When it is time to shoot, mount the gun like you normally would and think "Set the trigger" after that do the normal routine. Relaxing the trigger, instead of pulling, is much easier than you think. Your eye, hand coordination should work the same way. Put a snap cap in and practice doing it a couple times before you go with live ammo. Of course, see if it is possible to go on a trap by yourself the first round, and hold a high gun over the trap until you are confident enough to go to your normal hold position. Good luck. Jon

8. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Only thing I can say is practice with a snap cap until you are very comfortable with the trigger. Make sure you can safely open the gun when the trigger is set. Lots of things happen on the trap line and you will need to be able to control that trigger at all times.

I have been shooting a double release for years and the only time I ever had an unintended discharge was when I had a release hook break on me.

And like Hauxfan said, don't go to a release until you have too, and you will know when you have too.

Jim R

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Give it a try if it doesn't work after 1000 targets give up and go back and suffer along or find another way to over come your shooting problems that works for you.
    Joe

10. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

As I walked to the line with a borrowed gun Dave said; "By the way it's got a release trigger." AJ

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

"By the way, it's got a release-Pull trigger"

lol

they usually hand it back.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It was a very easy transition for me. It took just a few shots to be comfortable with the idea and few hundred rounds to get accustomed to the timing. I will add that i was in the category that Hauxfan decribes. It was time. It's second nature for me now. I also never had a problem switching to any of my pull trigger rifles, pistols and hunting shotguns.

I made the stupid statement "i've never shot the back of the Trap house" this summer. It was about 3 weeks later when i inserted my foot in my mouth while shooting a practice round. Gun was safely pointed down range. No harm, no foul. :)

13. WBD

WBD Member

I started shooting one in skeet this year. Really smoothed out my swing. Took me about two weeks (500 targets) to get comfortable with it. Points made in this post are well said: Practice, shoot with people you are comfortable with before jumping into line at a registered shoot and think about what you are doing. Good luck. W

14. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Easy to learn to shoot a release. Also easy to forget to set the trigger prior to calling for the bird which encourages a miss....SMOKIT

15. Baber

Baber TS Member

Unless you really need an RT avoid them. I believe that too many people look at them as some type assist like a custom stock or recoil system. They are not. If you don't need it walk away.

T

16. TigerMyrtle

TigerMyrtle Member

Firing the gun is not the difficult part to burn in to memory. Having the self control to NOT release the trigger for a broken target, fast pull, slow pull or whatever reason you may to not fire AFTER the trigger is set. This is the part that was most difficult for me. Firing is less difficult since it is routine on every shot. Not releasing the trigger and opening the breach takes some 'thinking'. Just my $.02.
    Eric

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If you can't shoot release or pull trigger with any success ask TBaber. He knows!!

18. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

took me 25 birds................

would not switch back!!

tony

19. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

As mentioned above, put a snap cap in and practice opening the breech without letting go of the trigger. There will come a time where you will have to do this on the line. It freaked me out the first time. I never thought about what I had to do until it happened. The trap would not throw a bird. So I thought about what I had to do to disarm the trigger. It came to me pretty quick, but it was unnerving to say the least. Do not use your thumb on your trigger hand to open the breech. Use the opposite hand, and maintain a death grip on the trigger. Jon

20. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Been shooting release trigger for 35 yrs. I think the # 1 issue , is having a good trigger. Properly timed and maintained. I have an MX8 with McDaniels release trigger. I took it to Kerry Allor and asked him to service the trigger. When I got it back. I was amazed at the improvement.
    Keep them triggers properly tuned.

Joe Woods/Ontario

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

opening the breach by pulling trigger

secrets to shootng a release trigger

shooting trap with a release trigger

what happens if a release triger is to fast when shooting trap