1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting a release trigger question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ccampbell, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccampbell

ccampbell Member

I just started shooting with a release trigger and it seems that I have to let the bird travel a bit farther inorder to get a smooth release of the trigger,Maybe alot more practice?? CCampbell

2. MX-10RS

MX-10RS TS Member

Shooting with a release trigger should be no different that shooting with a pull trigger. In fact, if anything, I believe (my opinion) it is slightly smoother. Keep practicing and it will become second nature. Good Luck!

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Go to station 7 on skeet field and practice shooting doubles. I found it helped me. Jake

4. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Go to post 3 on the trap field and shoot some doubles as well.

Don't think....just shoot.

5. missed some

missed some TS Member

why would station 7 be different than station 1? I would go practice shooting trap, unless you are a skeet shooter. I find shooting singles targets with a release much more difficult than doubles. So if thats where you are having trouble, i would shoot at a single target. mark

6. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Exactly my point......shoot doubles to get some range time with the release and when it becomes second nature shoot some singles. When you convert to a release ANY practice with it is beneficial. Doubles just requires less thinking about the trigger and more focus on the birds.

Good luck and don't look back.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Keep shooting practice. It will take a bit to get used to the timing. Once you do, it will be like it used to be. No excuses. LOL. Jon

8. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Forget about the trigger; just go shoot some birds and when you are about to release just point your trigger finger at the bird. Instead of thinking about releasing the trigger, just point at the bird. Everything forward toward the bird: barrel, front sight, shot, and trigger finger. Sounds a bit goofy, but give it a try. It works for most when starting with a release. It did for me...

9. ccampbell

ccampbell Member

Thanks for all the replys,I just got back from the range,and seem to be getting better ,although I did pull the trigger once and wondered why the gun didn't fire,overall score was a 93 out of 100 which is not bad for me,I was shooting alone using a voice call,I wanted to shoot by myself a few times to get used to the release trigger,and practice resetting the gun when the trigger has been set,I feel more comfortable now,and I'm ready to shoot with my buddy's knowing how the release trigger works,and how to dissarm the gun.
    Thanks for the help! CCampbell

10. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hi,

My experience with the Release is I do not know when I release it. Of course the gun went bang so you know, but there is no deliberate thinking about the setting and releasing the trigger.

Several of the shooters I have shot with developed Release issues, so as some the posters have noted do not think about it.

For me, I see the sight picture, I relax and the gun goes off.

My flinch was so bad with the 410 there were times the other shooters thought I was going to fall down. :eek:)

Good Luck with the Relase.

Jim

11. THE REBEL

THE REBEL TS Member

CAMMBELL PM me your address and i willl send you some release sticker
    THE REBEL ( JOHN A BELL)

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

CCcampbell: Your problem may be a mechanical one, not imaginary. A release trigger is considered slow if the release weight is too low in relation to the set weight. That means that as you're releasing trigger, your finger is almost completely removed from the trigger before the gun fires. A fast trigger is the opposite. The gun fires as soon as you start to come off the trigger. A slow trigger can also result from creep, drag, or overtravel resulting in a sear that doesn't release instantly.

These can all be corrected - to a degree. A trigger that releases too quickly
    will too often release accidentally and isn't considered safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to shoot a release trigger

shooting better with a release trigger