1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting a flat trap gun question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by striper, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I just got another mod 12 trap with adjustable comb. It has a regular butt pad where as my regular trap has one of the Country Gents adj pad and comb. I went out to see where it shoots and did the 10 yard from sand bags and it was dead center into about a 6inch circle. Very few pellets were out side the circle. I set the comb up as high as I could with washers shot at several targets and still very flat compared to my other gun.I would say it is shooting 70/30, the reverse of my other gun. I am able to shoot it ok but know it will take some getting used to. My question is do you cover the target with the end of the barrel and pull the trigger? With my other gun I shoot under the targets and really never see the end of the barrel except at the set up stage. I would like to be able to improve my scores with this gun and at sometime in the future will have the adjustable pad put on this gun.I know the rest of the story head down on stock ,follow thru. Any other suggestions esp for straight aways.

2. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Is 10 yards really an appropriate distance to do patterning? Doesn't seem like it'd give the shot much time to spread.

3. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

DB has the right idea. Keep it simple and do it. Bending barrels has been the norm for many years and has worked out well.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Stripper, in his post, very clearly indicated to me that he tested his point for impact at 10 yards. He did not test his pattern. Ten yards is OK for testing POI but I prefer 13 yards because it is easier to convert the information to 40 yards.

If you want to determine if your gun shoots high, low, left or right it should be done at 10-13 yards. If you want to look at shot distribution within the patters, this needs to be done at 35-40 yards.

Pat Ireland

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Striper, there's no reason you should have to "cover the bird" with a gun that shoots like this one, though we don't know what you saw that made you think it's "70/30." At 10 yards is it an inch high? Two?

But my theory is that what you ask about "My question is do you cover the target with the end of the barrel and pull the trigger?" is not what we do anyway. Assume that it takes about 1/4 second to make visual input go in and come back out as a trigger pull (or brake, or swerve, or whatever.) It seems like you get a sight picture and pull the trigger, but assuming you aren't using sustained lead, the real sequence of events is get close, issue the neural command to pull the trigger, achieve the sight picture you are after when the gun goes off.

If you have to shoot under the targets now I think you will like shooting at the target instead. I think if you get at it without worrying to much about 70/30 but think more about breaking the target, you mind will make the appropriate time shift to let you shoot not under the target but rather at the target, as well as a bit too high and a bit too low, and that, to me, is a nice setup.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

flat shooting trap gun

shooting7030trapgun