1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting 7/8 trap loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

Have any of you tried 7/8 shotshells? I have just had heart surgery and I'm interested in how they recoil and their effectiveness.

2. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

We've been loading a lot of 24 gm for bunker and they have less recoil than 1145 1 1/8 ounce light target AAs.

Get a box of Winchester or Rio bunker shells and try a few out.

I'm going in for a cardio cath. on monday so it looks like I'll be shooting the 391 with 24 gm for quite a while...

God Bless,
    TNCoach

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I load a 7/8 load, 16.5 grs promo, for first shot of dbls and some singles. Very soft and tgt crusher. I find the bunker loads smack a bit. Jake

4. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I reload 7/8 in Win AA, Nitro 100, around 1200 fps and they are nice and light on the recoil. Notice no difference in breaking targets between 7/8 and my old 1 oz load but recoil is better. Compared to 1 1/8 recoil a lot less.

Dan

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Been using them for at least 15 years; starting with skeet loads and then moving on to all my 16 yard trap and first shot of doubles. They've been responsible for several 100s at the 16 yard line. They are now used for many sporting clays shots; some not all that close. 17 gr. Clays, #9 shot, WW primers, STS hulls, Down Range pink wads or Winchester clones from Clay Buster......breakemall

6. cnsane

cnsane Member

I've run 25 from the back fence more times than I remember using the Win grey wad full of 7 1/2's. Pattern your chosen load along with a few other 7/8ths recipes and pick the one the gun likes best at your particular handicap yardage. It's not really an economy thing as you'll need more powder to keep your 1200fps speed, and a pound of powder cost more than a pound of shot. I do it for the recoil reduction and the bragging rights-as in "Spanked yerass using 20% less shot"

7. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

I've been using them for first shot doubles since I started shooting doubles only 3 short years ago. Love them. 1200fps or so, #8.5 shot. Recoil, how's this? There have been two or three times, where I probably didn't have the gun pulled in all the way, that the trigger on my XT combo didn't reset.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Like Steve above has found, you need to build a pretty good fire behind light shot loads to work actions and have good SD numbers for the load. Still a LOT less recoil and hammers targets too!

Hap

9. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

18.4 red dot seven -eights oz reclaimed ,,works good in my 391 for first shot in doubles,,,MX8Dave

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I throw a .74oz steel load which is equivalen to 1.125oz of lead by volume and don't know if I would go back to a weightier payload... I prefer a light and slower (1150 fps) load for my 16 yard shooting... not even mentioning the cost savings!

regards all,

Jay

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I really enjoy 7/8 oz 2.5 dram loads in my 20 ga 1187 7/8ths scale trapgun. Very little recoil. Took a little while to get used to the lighter weight, as the gun is much more "lively" than my much heavier 12ga trap gun. It really works well for sporting clays and doubles. Without enlargening the gas ports, a 12ga 1100 or 1187 will not cycle loads this light.

12. Blktailhtr

Blktailhtr TS Member

You didnt say if you reload or not but you will get around 100 extra loads per bag of shot compared to a 1 1/8 oz load in addition to the lighter recoil. At $40 a bag it adds up.

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yep. Alliant extra lite 14.5g drxxl wad win/sts case about 1150the fps. Use them 1st shot dbls and singles practice...

14. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I have been using 7/8 Oz. for several years. My basic load is a about 16.5 or 16.7 gr, Nitro 100, Claybuster Lightening wad, Winchester 209, 7/8 Oz #8.5 (or 8 if I can't get the 8.5s) all stuffed into a Rem Gun Club or STS case. I will also use this exact same load in a Fed Top Gun case. (For those who say this wad wont work in a straight wall case, well it works for me.) This is a 11-75 +/- LOAD AND THE TARGETS BREAK JUST FINE IF I DO MY PART AND PUT THE SHOT WHERE THE TARGET IS.

I occasionally use some of the old 1 1/8 Oz 2 3/4 DE loads I had laying around when I am playing around at longer distance and let me tell you, the difference in recoil IS VERY DEFINITELY NOTICEABLE! One time one of these heavier loads got mixed in with my 7/8 oz. loads and when I shot it I thought I had a magnum duck load in.

The 7/8 oz. load will function my 11-87 if the gun has been cleaned and the magazine tube is shot wet with CLP. Shooting it dry and dirty will almost always not let the action work properly. The 1100 on the other hand, clean & wet or any other way is a single shot gun.

15. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

If you reload, I'd suggest the two powders on the market designed for these light loads--either Alliant xtra lite or Winchester AA lite. They will give you the pressure you need for consistent velocity and patterns without having to push them at 1300fps. I love them.

16. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Shooting them for years, for 16 and 1st double target.

Use 16.5 Clays in Remington/Gun Club and ClayBusters Clone of Fig8 wad. Moves about 1180 fps and will smoke em.

17. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

OK--so here's mine. 13.6 grns AA Lite, AA Hull, either AA wad or DR Pink.

Win 209 primer. Good for about 1100 fps. Not quite enough for singles,

but smashes first of doubles. If I upped the charge have no doubt it would

be fine for singles with hardly any recoil.

Meters fine in my PW2000 which I have setup just for 7/8.

Mike C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

24 gm 12ga loads

bunkerbuster trap loads