1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting 50/50 I want 60/40 or 70/30

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Outdoors Junkie, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outdoors Junkie

Outdoors Junkie TS Member

I have a Browning XT with adj comb. I shot the gun and it is 50/50. I moved the comb up about an inch and I still shot 50/50. Did I move it the correct way?

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Yep, comb up for higher POI. There are a lot of variables:<BR>
    1) Make sure that the way you hold the gun to your face is the same, are you over compensating for the higher comb?<BR>
    2) Use the beads as reference points. The view of the beads should have changed and if they were stacked before, there should now be a space between them.<BR>
    3) Make sure that you are testing it the same way.<BR>

But mainly, why are you even messing with it in the first place? A 1" move UP is HUGE so something weird is going on.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

"IF" you moved the comb up 1", the gun would go from 50/50 at 40 yards to around 200% high, or there abouts. There is no way you could move the comb up that much and not result in a higher POI, all things being equal. Are you checking your POI from a rest? How high is the center of your pattern at 13 yards? This is where you should be checking for POI. If your gun patterns dead on at 13yds, that would equate to 50/50. Each 1/8" you raise your comb from there will raise your POI about 4.5" at 40 yards. A 1" raise in your comb would result in a POI of roughly 36" high at 40 yards.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Try putting your head on the stock when firing!

5. Outdoors Junkie

I am shooting it at 13 yards. It was 50/50. I shot it 3 times. I moved it up approx 1/2 in nothing. So I moved it another 1/4 to 1/2 and it moved maybe a little. I was shooting from a rest. After reading your post I think I figured it out. I was stacking my beads every time. Which means I was pressing my cheek down more. Should I be able to see the rib between my beads. I always shot my other gun with the beads stacked.

James

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Yep that's it. You aren't changing your sight picture so no matter where the comb is, the aim is the same. With a fixed rib, as you move the comb up, you should be seeing more and more rib between the beads.

7. nascarfan888

nascarfan888 TS Member

so by putting to much presure down on the stock will change the point of impact I thought by raising the combo it would raise your head so the point of impact would change

8. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Well, if you look at the beads, you should be able to see space between them. But, you're not supposed to be looking at the beads, so don't worry about that.

"Stacking" the beads is one of the biggest myths in shotgunning. If you want to look to see if everything is lined up correctly, and you've set your gun up so that the beads have 1/8" between them, then if when you look they have 1/8" between them, guess what? You're lined up just like when you set the gun up.

While you're at it, take a black Sharpie and blacken both beads.

And then go shoot at some straight-aways from post 3 to see how you're breaking the target with your new set up. Make changes to your comb as appropriate. (And don't worry about the beads "stacking.")

Have fun.

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

""Stacking" the beads is one of the biggest myths in shotgunning."

OH please Scott if it weren't for "Stacking" the beads there wouldn't be an adjustable rib on the market. Just look what the adjustable rib has done to gun prices of new guns that have them.

The gun makers will push beads "Stacking" for all it is worth. I always said I wish they never told anyone that a figure eight on the beads was best. Best for who??????

Bob Lawless

10. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

The single best way to make sure your gun is mounted properly is to do it by feel. You shouldn't have to press your face into the stock or weld your cheek to it so solidly that you are aware of the pressure. Think about it,how could you ever keep the same amount of pressure downward or otherwise on your comb over a 100 bird shoot. Adjust your comb so that you are crushing targets with a comfortable head /cheek pressure that is easy to maintain and throw away the middle bead. If the gun still doesn't shoot high enough lower the rib in front if you have an adjustable rib. BEAD STACKING WILL DRIVE YOU CRAZY.

11. chourico

chourico TS Member

adjusting your comb does not change your point of impact it changes the way you look down the rib ,if you dont believe me put your gun on a bench and shoot it with the comb off it changes nothing,you need an adjustable barrel to get true change of impact!It is a misunderstood concept.

12. ivanhoe

Horse Hockey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

13. chourico

chourico TS Member

If you want to get good get a coach!Everybody has an opinion but how many of us are running hundreds consistently?If you listen to everybody you will go crazy.If you cant get a coach,be your own coach you will know your P.O.I is correct when your smoking targets and use the tightest choke you have and build precision in your shooting and you will be on the way to success.I will send you the bill later LOL.

14. chourico

chourico TS Member

Horse hockey hey I guess you need to go to the range and do it to.then you will understand the facts if that doesnt work read some books on the matter.

15. kansasshooter

kansasshooter Member

You're right. Adusting the comb does affect the way you look down the rib, which in turn changes your POI.

16. ivanhoe

"put your gun on a bench and shoot it with the comb off it changes nothing,you need an adjustable barrel to get true change of impact!"

Well lets see just what gun has an adjustable barrel???????

I don't know about the rest here but when I take my comb off there are two metal studs sticking up. I think I will pass on putting my face down on those and pulling the trigger. If you don't mind so you will have to do better than that.

BTW what is written in books doesn't necessarily mean it teaches you anything.

OH the bill is in the mail......LOL

Bob Lawless

17. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

"... if it weren't for "Stacking" the beads there wouldn't be an adjustable rib on the market"

Are three beads stacked better than two ?

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Go to Poly Choke they have ribs that you can get any POI you want and reasonable, I ordered one today 1/2 the price of a new rib.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. Outdoors Junkie

Wow I opened a can of worms here. Thanks for all the information. I am going to go at it like I hunt. Get the gun to fit my cheek and start smoking clay.I never look at the beads when I am grouse hunting. All the guys at our club says to do the figure 8 or stack the beads. I am looking too much at the beads when I shoulder my gun. I would rather just call the bird and shoot where I am looking.

James

20. JDRRO

JDRRO TS Member

I agree with Ivanhoe and Hammer1. My question is what does the Adjustable ribe do. I've gotten so many different answers I don't know what to beleive. Seems for the discussions that you use it to fine tune your PIO by raising it to
    shoot lower or the opposite for higher. Plus you can use it to get back to a figure 8 sight picture??

James DeRousse JDRRO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.