1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting 2 eye?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SouthMetro Shooter, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

Hi all. I'm a fairly new shooter, i typically shoot with one eye opened. But this week i tried with both opened. It felt insanely weird and i smashed all the targets i hit, 22 to be exact.How does this work??? And how are you supposed to shoot with both eyes opened? Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, Matt

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Matt, it sounds like you are doing everything right. Shotguns are supposed to be pointed and not aimed. Essentially, the gun should point where you look if you are holding it correctly. Two eyed shooters have a distinct advantage because depth perception and periferal vision are not compromised.

Robert

3. SouthMetro Shooter

Like the barrel was a blur and I focused on the clay. Is that how it's supposed to work? Everytime I did that, I hit, everytime I focused on the barrel, I missed or barrely chipped it.

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Exactly

5. SouthMetro Shooter

That's just nuts!

6. MarkyMark

MarkyMark TS Member

What is your dominate eye??? Do you shoot righty and are left eye dominate??? Of course vice versa but at the end of the day there's a reason why folks shoot one eyed. If you are dominate in the opposite eye from the shoulder you use your gun it will always be a hinderence to your game.

7. SouthMetro Shooter

I shoot right eye right. But i have to be sure to focus with my right eye because if I don't, I won't see the clay. And I don't know what that means, as if it's normal or not.

8. MarkyMark

MarkyMark TS Member

Make a triangle with your hands thumbs over lapped with index fingers tips touching. Focus on an object say 10 yards from you. Now bring your hands up with the triangle you created to the object you're focused on. Start bringing your hands to your face keeping the item in the center. There you go your dominate eye.

I struggled with shooting before I even knew that little test shooting right handed left eye dominate. 15 years ago I switched to left handed with the help of a shooting coach. What a difference it made in all shooting sports, for trap I could in a sense look through my barrels down to the trap for the bird. Where it really helped was sporting clays and hunting.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You're supposed to have your eyes open? No wonder I miss so many targets...

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot the gun with both eyes open, you are doing just fine, and things will get better the more you shoot. HMB

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"Two eyed shooters have a distinct advantage because depth perception and periferal vision are not compromised."</blockquote>Largely irrelevant!

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

If you weren't right eye dominate you wouldn't be breaking the targets the way you do. You are correct your full concentration should be on the target.

Always positive thought never think about anything that can detract from the task at hand. Total concentration on the leading edge of the target is the ticket to breaking good scores.

Bob Lawless

14. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

WHAT IS YOUR DOMINATNT EYE????

Gads!

blade819

15. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Here is a video that might help you if it will work.

Both eyes shooting is taught to police officers using pistol, shotgun and rifle.

The statement scorned by Unknown1 posted by RobertT:

"Two eyed shooters have a distinct advantage because depth perception and periferal vision are not compromised."

............comes into play in regards to periferal vision to prevent someone coming up on you side/blind side, during a gun fight.

Use of both eyes, allows the brain obtain target acquisition and calculate speed and angle faster.

You can be a great trapshooter using one eye, but why put yourself at a disadvantage.

Rick Barker
    Ceritified Police Firearms Instructor
    State of Colorado

16. SouthMetro Shooter

And like me personally. I say pull. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING becomes a giant blur and next thing I know i squeeze off a round and the clay is dust.

17. blade819

Before he adjusts anything..... he needs to know what eye is his dominant eye. Not only in Trap but even shooting a pistol. Rick, being an instructor you should know that right? I'm left eye dominant so when I grip my pistol, I cock my head toward the right and down a little and tend to hold my pistol more toward left of center. With that style my dominat eye takes over & I'm a deadeye (anything under 45cal).

blade819

18. SouthMetro Shooter

I'm right eye. I don't shoot pistol. Just shotgun and rifle.

19. blade819

South Metro.... you are sure that you are right eye dominant, correct?

20. SouthMetro Shooter

I'm positive, my vision may not be the best but I'm 100% positive I'm right eye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

2 eye trapshooting