1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting 100 Targets Per Field

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bomber61, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

I was always wondered what the reason was not to shoot 100 targets per field. I know background is some of the reason and that is understandable. But what if the clubs background is the same all the way across?

I think some bigger shoots do shoot 100 per field.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Gary

2. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I think one disadvantage would be some shooters would complain because they did not get to shoot on an "easy" trap. Of coursr most complaints will come from shooters with low scores.

At the SD Club during 200 singles events I have heard several complaints because fields were not rotated at the start of the second hundred. Example: Six fields used for the event. Odd number squads will shoot on fields 1,2,&3 while even number squads will shoot fields 4, 5, & 6. Normally if for the first hundred you shot on 1, 2, &3 you would shift to 4, 5, &6 for the second hundred. At the SD you shoot all 200 on the same three traps. Many dislike this policy thinking one group of fields may yeild better scores than the other. Perhaps its time for management to put an ear to the wall. Trap shooters seem to find enough to bitch about without adding fuel to the fire.

Marc

3. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

As the one of the,,literally dying,breed of smokers I need the break for a smoke,and to think up new excuses why I missed all the "easy" straight away birds!With out changing fields I might have face up to the fact that I cant hit s##t.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Marathons are all on one field, so is the Iowa State Shoot and many other places I shoot. Michigan is four fields, the Grand four, Minnesota two, and so on. I've never seen much difference, nor have any reason to like one system over another. Automatic traps and voice callers have made things so even that what was once unthinkable (bad setters/sleepy pullers) now works just fine.

Neil

5. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I agree with Shaun and Neil. But a couple of possible disadvantages at some clubs could be:

That hog caller on the field next to you never goes away.
    Bad set of mics to deal with for 100 targets.
    Various other minor things that will bother you if you're shooting poorly.

None of these things matter if the targets are breaking when you pull the trigger.

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Mississippi was all shot on one field in 2003.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have shot 100 per field several times. The only problem I had was figuring out how many targets the squad ahead of me has shot. The last time I shot 100 per field, I did resort to glancing into the shell bags of the squad on the line. It is more efficient than shooting over four fields. When using four fields, on each bank, at the beginning and end of each event one trap is empty for about 45 minutes, one trap empty for 30 min. and one trap empty for 15 minutes. That is a lot of wasted labor costs.

Pat Ireland

8. EE

EE Banned User Banned

I like shooting 100 on one field. And 10 per post.

EE

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

with my crippled knees and back trying out a stool to shoot off this year, it would certainly work for me...

Ron

10. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

Thanks everyone for you impute, It doesn't matter to me either. But I like to hear what others are thinking. especially when you run shoots from time to time.

Gary

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

EE- I agree with you but we may be the only two left.

Pat Ireland

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Personally I like the 1 trap event per squad (also I like the 10 targets per post, but that's another argument), especially for doubles.

At this year's Delaware state shoot, the doubles events will be shot on one trap banks.

Curt

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I hate 10 per post. I have 5 orthopedic prosthesis', including two shoulders, and it's a painful grind for me.

14. The Stive

The Stive Member

I do not like to shoot 100 targets on the same trap. I like to change traps.
    I do not like 10 to a post. I like shooting a 5 bird event on each post and
    then moving. It helps me. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.