1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shootiing after shoulder replacement

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gere, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gere

gere TS Member

need recoil bearing shoulder replaced.would appreciate any info from anyone who has had this done thank you

2. Hauser

Hauser Member

Gere

I had my right shoulder replaced 7-8 years ago and haven't had any problems. Following surgery I ask my doctor when I could start shooting and he said right now if your up to it. I resumed shooting 3 weeks later. Biggest problem was fatigue from the surgery.

Jerry Hauser

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Jerry! He said it's on his recoil side! There's no way on earth your surgeon told you to start shooting immediately after surgery if you had a total joint replacement on your recoil side.

-Gary

4. Hauser

Hauser Member

GW22

Im right handed and had my right shoulder replaced. My surgeon did say I could shoot when ever I was ready. That turned out to be on the short side of 3 weeks.

Jerry Hauser

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I waited 8 weeks but I'm more conservative I guess.

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I envy you guys..They installed one of the reverse shoulder joints in my shooting shoulder and advised that I probably won't be able to shoot from that shoulder again. When I saw the x-rays of the job, I couldn't believe the screws & hardware involved..I pushed the point and tried to shoot a .222 rifle from a bench and it felt like someone just pulled some teeth. My solution, switched to left side and it's coming back slowly. It's really not too bad shooting from the "dark side" as some of my friends call it. Just harder then hell to hit the things I want now shooting one eyed.

Big Jack

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I haven't had this done but if I were in your shoes, I would:

1. Make sure your doctor knows you area a shooter, and you want to continue to be a shooter.

2. Take the advice of your doctor.

3. If he says you can shoot, get the best darned recoil reducing system you can find installed on your gun. PFS or whatever.

8. Barry C. Roach

I have had both shoulders replaced, in the traditional way (not the reverse ball type), in '05 and '06 respectively. The second was on the recoil side.

Anticipating accumulative damage from recoil, I had Pat McCarthy build two of his "Stock Lock" custom stocks for me. I am thoroughly convinced that this has kept me in the game. I once took my Stock Lock stock off for service and shot singles with 1oz. loads until I got it back. I thought there would be little difference in recoil shooting these light loads. Boy was I wrong. There was a big difference. I wont do that again, unless I have to.

The biggest problem I have is bringing the gun to my shoulder. Every time I mount the gun there is pain in both shoulders and that has increased over time. I have no pain after mounting the gun and none from the recoil. As long as that remains the same I will continue to shoot trap. I hope that is for a long time.

Make sure you do your therapy religiously and never stop. It's the key to your recovery and your longevity in the sport. Good luck. Welcome to the club. Barry

9. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I appreciate all of this info. grntitan is facing this during the winter I believe and the way my operated right shoulder is feeling, I suspect that I'll have it in a couple of years if not sooner. If they tell me I won't be able to shoot, I'll not have it done and just live with the pain that I'm going thru now.

blade819

10. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I find myself wondering if some of the reasons some of us are having joint/musculoskeletal problems is because we are trap shooters. We are the only shooting sport that routinely shoots 300+ rounds of 12 gauge shotgun loads in a single day of competition. Many of us shoot 1000+ rounds in a typical 4 day tournament, and we attend numerous tournaments each year.

Obviously, there are numerous factors and variables, including personal build, gun mount, stance, heredity, etc. But two things are pretty much a given...most all of us shoot a heavy gun (which we lift several hundred times each day that we shoot), and most all of us shoot 12 gauge loads.

...just wonderin'

bluedsteel

11. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

What exactly is "shoulder replacement"? I've had rotator cuff surgery on my shooting shoulder & am going to have the same procedure done on the other one.
    Just wondering what the term means?

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Hunter44: It means removing the joint surfaces and replacing them with metal and plastic. In my case it was a titanium ball on a post pounded down into my humerus, and a UHMW polyethylene glenoid (partial socket) attached to my scapula.

-Gary

13. Barry C. Roach

The damage and eventual destruction of my shoulders was caused entirely by psoriatic arthritis which is an auto-immune disease similar to cancer in some ways (out of control tissue cell production within the joint). My surgeon, also a shooter, believes that shooting a shotgun, using trap loads, had little accumulative to no effect on my shoulder.

Played baseball as a catcher for 20 years. Can't tell you how many times I was rammed at the plate. Both shoulders got popped a lot.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Having my left(off hand) shoulder replaced Jan 19th. We will see how long it takes me to get back. They told me as much as 3 months. Sounds like an awful long time for off hand. That said i'll listen to the Doc. My shoulder woes started from High School football after i tore my Labrum.

Barry--Is Yamaguchi a shooter or are you speaking of another Surgeon? I just can't picture Dr.Yamaguchi shooting. He is doing my replacement.

15. Barry C. Roach

16. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Ive seen and heard in one of my shooting orgs many of that kind or similar surgerys on the recoil shoulder, ages 30 to 75. Average time was minimum 2 ish months depending on age build and some longer. Always though,after 2 months doctor will say, depending on age,try light load,one shot.

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Barry--Thats cool. I guess you can't judge people on how they look or what they do for a living.

18. Barry C. Roach

I don't think he's an avid shooter but he seemed to understand about recoil. Yamaguchi was really pleased that I use a recoil reduction type stock and before that I alway used Pachmayer Triple Magnum recoil pads for most of my shooting career. Very soft pads but you have to sacrifice a lot of wood since they are so thick.

19. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Matt and Barry, Gidday mates.

Hauser and Barry, you guy's must be tough, I too have had both totally replaced, 6 months with each before comfortable shooting again.

Physio twice-three times per day, at least 3 months before I was anywhere near strong enough to mount my K-80 let alone shoot it.

Same as Barry the Stock-Lock was the answer for me, can now shoot 200-300 days without any great problems, todays Doctors are good with shoulders but they are not as good as the one's you are born with.

Matt good luck with your back and shoulder surgeries, hope to see you on the line at Sparta next summer.

Regards, Gary Kennerson.

20. Barry C. Roach

Gary, At eight weeks I only shot a round of 25 once in a while..... that increased, slowly, for about 6 mos and then I started to shoot 100 registered and finally building up to normal shooting. I wouldn't recommend shooting too soon and I shouldn't have left that impression. There are a lot of internal stitches under that surface scar and those take at least 6 weeks to heal. That doesn't mean that it will be pain free. I was lucky and there wasn't too much pain associated with the scarring at 8 weeks.

Improvements in total shoulder replacement have been made since I had mine done and it may be different now but the surgeon cut through my pectoral muscles to achieve access to the joint. That produces lots of scar tissue and that's why you have to continue to exercise and do your therapy long after the surgery.

P.S. I'm not nearly as tough as Jerry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can one shoot shotguns again after reverse shoulder replacement

can shoot shotgun after shoulder replacement

houses for rent in idaho falls id

reverse shoulder replacement and hunting

reverse shoulder replacement and rifle shooting

shooting a shotgun after shoulder replacement recovery

shooting after shoulder replacement surgery

shooting with a shoulder replacement