1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shootgun pattering

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 601nick, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 601nick

601nick TS Member

Help wanted easy way to pattern trap gun thanks for the info Nick

2. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Pattern only, not POI. Fire 1 shot at a plain paper or cardboard tgt from 30 to 40 yds, I like 35. Cut a O from card board 30" outside, 20" inside. Mark the cutout circle at 90,180,270 and 360 degrees. Center the circle over the densest part of the pattern and draw a 20" and a 30" circle, mark the outer circle at the 90,180,270 and 360 points and draw a X. You now have your pattern seprated into 8 segments all approx the same size in sq inches. Count the pellets in each segment and do the math to get pct of hits in each segment and total hits in 30 and 20 inch circle. Do this 3 to 5 times and use the average. Takes a little time but is easy. Remember this is for pattern not POI

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Unless you do this 10 times at 40 yds it is a waste of time. It is a lot of work, that is why few people do it. Mostly, people "eyeball" the patterns, then make wild claims. But then some claim to have "trained" eyeballs.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Patterning to see which part of a circle your pellets favor is pretty pointless. You can fire a 1000 rounds at paper and never see the same distribution twice...it's a completely random thing.

MK

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

But Unknown, A "trained eyeball" will see through this haphazard distribition of pellets and create a uniform and predictable distribition by changing wads.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There are no two shotgun shells exactly alike therefore you will never duplicate a pattern or holes that might be in one ... If you shoot a shell at the pattern sheet, good or bad that one is in the past and will never be seen or heard from again ... Point of impact (POI) compared to point of aim (POA) is what matters, that you can change ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I have learned alot of things from patterns, the the two most important are, a slight breeze will move your patteren a lot( a 10mph wind moves a pattern 6 inces at 30 yards), I do not think you can get a POI from a pattern as this all depends on swing and follow thru more than a barrel setting. I prefer to set my gun on a still day at targets. John 8703697

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Jerry, I do keep forgetting about those trained eyeballs, micrometer fingers and torque-sensitive wrists.

MK

9. peteodie

peteodie Member

You might look at the URL and will give you some good info

Pete G

10. MCKJR

MCKJR TS Member

I think the only good idea to check your pattern is to have a moving pattern board so you can check your shot string.after all clay pigeons are not standing still.---jim

11. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I set my poi @ 5" high at 13 yards to start for "caps, and then work from there on targets....works for me.

tony

12. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Do all of you trained eyeball doubters REALLY,TRULY doubt that my TRAINED EYEBALL could not see the difference in the Savage .410 side by side I shot for POI & pattern. Do you truly believe that I was mistaken,that at 22 yds(Skeet ranges)I could see that the left bbl shot 1 foot to the right & the right barrel shot 1 foot to the left. And that at 10 yards,they both shot together at the center of the target. I am completely satisfied,after shooting several 1000 patterns,that I know what I am seeing,AND<AND<AND that I can prove it time after time. Answer me this doubters,how does a guy like Tom Wilkinson come up with the sucesses that he does. Ken Eyster anyone??? I do agree about wind,moving targets,random holes. Tom Lobonc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.