1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooters with pacemakers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotgunjerry, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunjerry

shotgunjerry Active Member

Just got a pace-maker implanted. Wondering if there are other trap shooters with pace makers and how long you waited to start shooting again and if there was any complications. Would appreciate any information. It was installed under the left shoulder. I am right handed.

2. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Where did they put it?

3. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

One of the guys I shoot with has one. Had it installed on Tuesday,Home wednesday shot 100 singles Saturday. I think the Dr told he should wait a week and quit if he got tired, he listens very poorly to Dr's.

4. pweld

pweld TS Member

shotgunjerry Listen to your doctor. You do not want the wires moving around where they do not need to be. I am on my second defib/pacemaker and after some time the wires are set and you do not need to worry. The doctor should have told you to not raise your left arm over your head or lift anything heavy for some time. Give it some time. After about a mo you can go on with life as nothing has ever happened. If you get tired sit and rest. Mine has gone off 5 times, 2 while I was shooting. The last time was a year ago on the 18th of Dec. Put me on the floor in front of a class of 65 students. That was fun.

Any questions send a pm and I will be glad to answer to the best of my ability.

Paul Welden

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Ask your cardiologist. You need the leads to scar into the heart muscle before you start shooting again, or you risk lead dislodgement. That is the major concern after pacer implant. I would say atleast 6 wks.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto Paul Welden; my doc gave the same basic advice. If the device is on the same side as your shotgun mount, I'd reckon there might be more limitations, Anyone here in that situation???......breakemall

7. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

My ICD is on the opposite shoulder;cardiologist knew I was a shooter;turned me loose to shoot in 30 days.

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

Ask Bret Erickson US Team Coach. He shot the 2004 Olympics about 6 weeks after have a PM installed. He also shot Bejing in 2008.

Tom

9. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

I live and shoot in Florida.. I think there is at least one on every squad .. LOL (Thank God I have not yet needed to get one)

As stated above, listen to the doc !! No need to rush things, that new unit should add plenty of shoots to your time left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.