1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooters who trade guns, then want the gun back?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    A few months back, I was approached at an area gun club by one of the shooters asking me if I wanted to trade one of my Remington 870 TB's for a Remington 870 SC skeet gun? I asked why he wanted to trade and he said one of his grand kids wants to shoot trap. He said his 870 skeet has just been collecting dust in a closet for years as he no longer shoots skeet.

I told him I had no need for the skeet gun, but as a favor to him, I agreed to make the trade. We filled out the required paper work, shook hands, and made the trade. I told him I would give the skeet gun to my nephew as a Christmas gift. My nephew shoots trap and he has tried skeet and liked it, but did not have a skeet gun.

Make a long story short, this grand kid of his no longer wants to shoot, and now the guy who made the trade wants his old gun back. I told him I no longer have the gun, as I previously said I gave it to my nephew as a gift. Now the guy is upset, and every time I see him he brings this same issue up over and over again.

I told him, your an adult, and I am not Sears, where you can return things. Any of you ever make or sell a gun and then the person wanted his old gun back. How did you handle it? There is a saying, no good deed goes unpunished. I am sick of this guy rehashing this same deal over and over again.
    Steve Balistreri

2. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I've traded guns all my life and sometimes was kicking myself right after I made the trade thinking I wish I had'nt done that but being an adult you know once the deal is done its over and you accept what you did happy or not. This man needs to relize he is an adult and if he mentioned it once and you said no let it go and move on. And I only said if he ask you once because sometimes friends will ask once "do you still have that gun" just to see your response.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Yes, I sold a Mod 31 that I want back and cannot find it. I should not have sold it. Nobodys fault but mine

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

tell the guy to go pound sand....simple as that...

5. oldstuff

oldstuff Member

I didn't hound the guy for the gun, but I sold my 3200 with 32" barrel to a friend and then wanted it back. As luck would have it the person that I sold it to trades guns alot. He was willing to get rid of it and I did buy it back for more money than he paid me for it. I still own the gun and still shoot it. Sometings I finally get smart to late. I did find that it does pay to ask.

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

There is nothing to discuss, if there where no extending circumstances set. Done is done. Why do you even bother to ask how we feel? what matters is how you feel! Personally, I believe telling him you moved the gun should suffice as to the end of it all, anything extra would be squeezing on them balls you talk about! let him know he it. One of the worst things is dealing with close aquaintenances, if someone is unhappy, you'll see each other a lot. You need to do what makes you feel right about it, chances are if you did get it back to him, he'll bitch it has been shot, scratched, dented, neglected etc. He is one to remember.

7. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Steve, you come across on this forum as a pretty nice guy with a great sense of humor. I think I'd like having you for a neighbor. For that reason, this other guy's attitude irritates me. You told him what you were going to do with the gun after you did him the FAVOR of trading guns with him, and now he seems insulted or upset that you did what you said you'd do. I agree he wasn't out of line asking once about the gun, but after you told him it was already given to your nephew just like you said you were going to do, it was his turn to shut up about it except to wish your nephew well. I sure wouldn't be doing any more deals with this joker.
    Jerry Wright

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

delete

9. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Tell him your nephew wants a nice o/u and would probably trade the pump for one..

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I bought a combo K80 from a guy who was on the outs with his wife stating he was going to need the money for the divorce and furniture for an apartment....I bought it and flipped it for a couple K profit..a month later he comes to me saying he patched things up and wants to buy it back...I informed him I sold it..and to this day he is upset with me saying he only sold it to me because he thought I would keep it and he could get it back in time....what the hell did I look like ..a pawn shop??? guess he thought it was a loan with the K gun being collateral

11. senior smoke

Jerry Wright:
    I was very up front with this guy. Now every time he is at the club he tells everyone the story. I have shooters coming up to me asking why I won't him him the gun back? Sunday, I asked him in the nicest way possible to end all this. I go to another club and first thing I hear from people is that he said I screwed him out of his gun? He even asked me to ask my nephew to give me back the gun, so he could have it back. I told him I would not do that.
    Steve

CalvinMD:
    It seems like the guy wanted an interest free loan?
    Steve

12. senior smoke

I just received a PM from a fellow Wisconsin shooter that heard this guy talk to me at the club on Sunday. He told me this same guy traded guns with him even up, years ago. The very next morning at 6am this guy called his house and was begging him for the gun back. At first he said know, a deal is a deal. Then the gun actually started crying on the phone???? This gun told him to come over and pick up the gun. He also told him he would never have any gun dealings with him again. Well, that pretty much answers it, I am thinking this has a issues to say the least.
    Steve

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Steve,

It is as simple as this - you cannot sell or trade something you don't own. You gave the skeet gun away so you no longer own it. End of story.

You are under no obligation to pressure your Nephew to do anything in this matter. The gun is his to do with as he chooses. The other guy has absolutely no right to approach your nephew on this matter.

You made a fair trade deal with the guy and if any one questions you about screwing someone out of their property tell them it was a fair trade and tell them it was a documented fair trade at that.

Maybe that your only wrong doing in this is that you are being too nice.

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I never had that with Guns, but I did have it with other things, like musical instruments. I did sell one guy his guitar back, as I was tired of it anyway. He whined about extra scratches on it. Most of the others understood and although disappointed, they were ok when I told them I had already traded them off.
    One time a guy could not pay his rent and electric bill and offered me the mag wheels and tires he had bought for his car. I felt sorry for the guy and bought them, even though I really didn't want them. Almost a year later, after I had already worn out the tires, I traded my car off. Then he showed up and wanted his wheels back and told me I should buy him tires too, since I wore our "his" tires. He went around and told everyone that I took advantage of him, broke my promise, ripped him off and refused to make it right. Everytime he got drunk he would call my house, even after I moved to another town. This was no kid, he was mid 30's. I ended up getting an unlisted number. You cannot help some people.

15. englishupland

englishupland Member

If you truly want it to end, see if your nephew will sell it..

If not, just tell the guy it's your nephews now, and you'll ask him, but it's really out of your hands at this point, and you'll let the nephew know that if/when he decides to get rid of it, to give that guy first shot at it..

Seems pretty simple to me...

You could just tell the guy to piss-off, but there are better ways to handle it...I've done this before with a motorcycle..

16. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I kind of like blkcloud's idea about seeing if the guy will trade an O/U for the SC, . . . but wait, he would probably cry about that trade also. lol

John E.

17. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

tell the guy to go pound sand....this situation does not warrant a need to be diplomatic about it....the "seller" is clearly in the wrong to act like the way he is towards Senior Smoke

18. senior smoke

I hate to be rude to people, but if he is still talking about this on Sunday when I am at the club, I will probably sit and tell him directly to stop it.
    Steve

19. high 2

high 2 Member

What blkcloud said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or take a hike. LG

20. wolfba

wolfba Member

If you sell, trade, or give something away then it's a done deal. The assumption needs to be you will never own that property again.

I can understand asking to make another deal, but I would not tolerate someone making me out to be the bad guy because you are second guessing your decision

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.