1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooters Shoulder & Neck Pain Relief

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Like many shotgun shooters, I developed chronic pain in my neck and shoulders. When I stopped loading on a single stage MEC, a lot of the discomfort went away. (NOTE to self: sell the MEC before you give in and start loading again). Some pain remains and is always worse “the next day”. A chiropractor showed me how to do some exercises that helped just a little. An acupuncturist told me that even those exercises might be enough to start the pain reaction.

Instead of twisting and shrugging, she showed me how to be more gentle with my old sore body. I sit or stand straight and slowly move my head right, then left, as if I’m shaking my head NO. I start with three to each side. Then, I switch to three up and down nods - indicating YES. Then there are three gentle tips of the head as in MAYBE (chin tilted up and top of head tilted down). That’s a total of nine gentle movements. I repeat those nine, three times. I do this a few times each day - especially under a cool shower - not hot.

I think a key is that the movements are small and gentle.

If I ever feel that the movements aren’t covering all of my discomfort I resort to applying a topical pain cream I “invented” in my pharmacy. It contains small amounts of ibuprofen (Motrin) and/or diclofenac (Voltaren).

Larry |
    Grandpa's Arms, Inc. |
    http://www.grandpasarms.com |
    340 Marshall Ave #100 | Aurora, IL 60506 |
    Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm |
    Office: 630.859.0333 Cell: 630.992.7513 FAX: 630.859.0114

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Had the same problems as you did. Doctors could not find a cure. A very wise trapshooter told me to go hydraulic on my reloader, and sure enough I got healed. This was 11 years ago. FWIW. JM

3. APrice

APrice Active Member

Larry, you may want to inform PCCA that you are the "inventor."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.