1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooters Myth or True

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I overheard two shooters the other night talking about shot size and choke. One was telling the other that they could "open up" the pattern by using smaller size shot.

I was thinking to myself that this must be some kind of myth as I really can't see where shot size would affect the pattern other than density. Is there any truth to this, or is it just another shooters myth?

ss

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The short answer is no; the long answer is at the above link.

Neil

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Thanks Neil!

I was looking through some of your old posts as I figured you had touched it before, but didn't see this thread.

ss

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

SS, here is another one. The answer is no. Wayne

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Wayne,

Thanks. Any referance to a post of Gary's is to be taken with a grain of salt. Any credibility he had on this site went out the window with his 19" pattern speal.

ss

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

ss, I've never found any real difference between 7 1/2 and 8, but using 8 1/2 and 9 does "enlarge" the "useful" pattern by a small amount. Very small in my Perazzi trap barrels; a little more in my old Beretta field gun. The measurements are too small to account for the perception of openness on the line or in the field. There are more fliers with small shot, and there are more pellets overall. So there is a greater chance for a fringe hit, and fewer holes in the pattern large enough for a bird to slip through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.